We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows XP home edition won't boot up

PC_HelpMe
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi all,

My computer has decided to just not load up - it won't even load up in safe mode. The following message then came up:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen restart your comp."

It then goes on to say disable antivirus or check hard drive configuration and run CHKDSK /F for hard drive corruption.

Technical info: * STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001902FE,0xF79C36DC

It gives more numbers etc.

I then also tried using the recovery disc yet this same message came up!

How can I try and fix anything when I can't seem to get off this error message?

Any advice really appreciated.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

If you can access the BIOS menu you should be able to set CDROM as First Boot device, then try starting again with Recovery disc in drive.

To enter BIOS press F2 or Del immediately after pressing start button, this might take several attempts.

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

I have already asked the computer to boot from cd - is this what you mean?

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

I have already selected to "recover" using the cd - but I get the same message coming up.

If I were to reinstall windows would it erase all my documents and files too or is there something I can do to reinstall the os but keeping my stuff?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

He means change the order of boot up in the bios from Hard drive to CD or DVD drive.Make sure the CD or DVD drive is set to boot 1st at start up.

Not sure if you already tried that.

Were you having any problems with the time or date on the computer.

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

I will try this - anything is worth a go - so far I've just got it to boot up using the cd - it says to press any key to start cd boot up.

I will try what you have suggested though.

I've had no problems at all with the date and time - although funny you should ask this as the last bit of the blue screen error message that comes up gives the date stamp as 41107 - which it obviously isn't.

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

I've just managed to get into the BIOS (I don't really know what I'm doing), but this is what is coming up:

1st boot device: removable 2nd boot device: CDROM 3rd boot device: hard disk Boot other device: yes

Is this how it should be listed?

Am I to change these settings to CDROM as 1st?

You say to

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

It ought to work as it is but if you do change 1st boot device to CDrom then you also need to save and exit (F10).

Do you have a full XP CD? or just a recovery disk from your manufacturer?

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

I have another disc which says "application & support cd".

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Don't know if it is anything significant but as soon as the computer tries to start up in any mode, I can hear a tiny kind of bleeps/clicky noise and it starts trying again :-(

When I try to get it to go into safe mode I get a black screen full of system 32 driver information....

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Ok so I've put the application and software cd in and it's warning me about system recovery but its asking me to click on a "next" button! I'm terrified if I click on this it's just gonna completely wipe my computer. How likely is it to do this or do you reckon it will Give me a list of options?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote