We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Fitting a new 3TB internal HDD

Daiol
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi,I have a desktop running windows 7 home premium,I decided to get an internal hdd as an extra second one and decided to get a 3TB seagate from amazon. Well it arrived today fitting went well went into device manager to format it etc,And it only showed up as 745GB it said on the casing of the dive 3TB, Is there any explanation for this please. Thanks.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

You may have to update your motherboard's bios so as to recognise the 3TB new HDD.

Details of your PC's specs & the new 3TB HDD will help though.

Like this post
Daiol

Likes # 0

Thanks for reply,Not quite sure about specs.My desktop windows 7 home premium 4gb ram and the label that was put on the top is a ''Biostar N61PB-M2S. New 3TB Drive ''Seagate SEA3TBSATA6GBS SEA ST3000M001 3.5 3TB SATA''

Will that help in any way,This pc was home built by a local computer shop Thanks

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Intel HDD controllers will not see more than 2.2Tb if in raid configuration

the controller has to be in AHCI mode so you can't raid any drives on the controller.

Check the BIOS and set to AHCI and see if it will then see the disk

750Gb just happens to be the size of one of the four platters in your drive.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If you use Acronis Disc Director it will See it all and allow you to set it up

Like this post
Daiol

Likes # 0

Woodchip.Thanks for that bit of info,But can you please give some guidance on using the '' Acronis Disc Director''. I'm not very technically minded in the computer age. thanks both.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Go into "Disk Management" in administrative tools and right click on "disk" icon ... there should be an option that says "Convert to GPT disk".

Once converted you should then see all the disk you can then partition and format to NTFS as required.

Like this post
Daiol

Likes # 0

I did that,That's when the end result was 745gb nowhere near 3tb.I bought this item from Amazon,Been in touch with them and made arrangements to collect on monday. But if I can solve the problem by then I can cancel collection.If it does get returned to Amazon and I change it for a 2TB will I have same problem as the 3TB?.If there is going to be no prob's with the 2TB I can exchange from the 3TB to another one to 2TB. Thanks.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If you do as above, Right click My Computer then Click Manage\Disc Manager

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

So you need to use Acronis Disc Director

Click Hear

Its very Easy to use

Like this post
N47.

Likes # 0

You could try easeus partition master for free from cnet.

http://download.cnet.com/EaseUS-Partition-Master-Home-Edition/3000-2248_4-10863346.html

copy and paste link in your browsers address bar.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...