We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

how do I set my own picture as home page?

laptopdunce
Resolved

Likes # 0

Thanks to Fruitbat for sending me the links on how to do a system restore on my Asus Laptop, It has now set to a C & D drive with factory settings, I am in the process now of re-installing the CD roms for my printer etc., I would like to put my own choice of photo as the home page, how do I do that? its a Windows Vista laptop, I seem to remember it was something in the control panel but I cant think where?? Also I want to delete alot of the factory installed Asus programmes like the games and geeksquad and all the rubbish I never use, is it recommended to do this from the control panel? thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Right click the desktop, select personalize, select desktop background select the browse tab and find the photo you want for the desktop.

Like this post  
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

Oh WOW!! what a great way to do this, nice and simple thanks! I also want to remove alot of the useless programmes that were factory installed on this Asus X59L laptop, but I cant find the names of them in the control panel under programmes, have only deleted 1 so far, the "splendid utility" but there are lots of game/photo type programmes on the home page, they are:- Launch abilioty Office, Napster, Online storage, Roxio vreator LE10, download store, Quick Games and Geeksquad. Should I just delete the icon for them from the home page? Its always a bit difficult reloading everything but I have the printer installed now and want to load my own version of "word" so dont need the "Ability Office" programme of Asus. thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
N47.

Likes # 0

Use google and download revo uninstaller, the free version.

Deleting the icon on the desktop just takes away the icon not the program.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

PC Decrapifier gets rid of all those unwanted pre installed programs.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Be careful about what you delete eg Roxio may be one of the few ways you have to create cd/dvds.

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

FruitBat, thanks for the decrapifier link, I will try that later, in the meantime I have had a look in "tools" on the IE task bar at the top, as I want to see how I can get the kind of toolbar where I can add icons of frequently visited websites, in the internet options it is showing yahoo as the default page, but I cant seem to get the bar open where it is possible to add the icon widget of a visited website, how do I do this? Also I still keep geeting a little window popping up that says "windows IE closed...., restarting" why is this happening? the computer is like new now with hardly any programmes on it, just installed the printer and downloaded Avast antivirus, thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

Fruitbat. Re the decrapifier, I have looked at the games and word programmes in their "file location" on this Asus laptop and most of them dont show as being in a C drive but the file location just opens a link to the Asus world site, does this mean that these programmes like Quick games, Geeksquad and download store are not actually installed on the laptop itself but are kinda on a link from the Asus website? So if I run the decrapifier on the Asus laptop will it find these programmes if they are actually on the Hard Drive somehwere? thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

just started a new thread, as I need to upgrade the IE browser to IE9 on this vista laptop but my SP1 is not up to date, seem to remember this happening before with XP, I think there was a special link I was sent for upgraidng to the right Service Pack for that problem, this is the same kind of thing, I cant open my gmail with the Vista laptop with the older IE browser running SP1......, thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Various ways of getting SP2, click here for info

32-bit download, click here

64-bit download, click here.

Try right clicking the near the address bar and tick the favourites bar. Once it shows up, right click any icon on it and select customize title width'. I use the 'Icons Only' as I can get more on the bar.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Last sentence not very good lol. Missed your other thread so apologies.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Google Fit vs Apple Health Kit: What's the difference?

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone