We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

My Desktop won't start

Furkin

Likes # 0

Hi all,

My Desktop won’t boot. My routine is that every day, I turn the machine on as soon as I get up. I make a cup of tea whilst its booting up & running through its self-testing, downloading Auto updates etc. It stays on then till I go to bed at 12:00 / 01:00.
Everything was O.K before this. I have not added or downloaded anything – as far as I know – apart from MS auto up-dates.

I turned it on this morning, & was initially bloody annoyed, cos I thought my new LG HDMI ISP monitor had failed. Its about 8 weeks old now, so I don’t think its anything to do with this problem.

It seemed that the machine was working, in that the red LED (power – I think) was on, but the green one wasn’t. I think this is the ‘reading files’ LED. There was nothing on the screen, but the on/off switch was lit, so I knew that at least it was powered.

As there was nothing on the screen, I couldn’t shutdown properly. I held the on/off button in, which used to force a shut-down with the previous M.B. This time it Re-Started. I don’t know if that’s usual with this asus kit, as its all pretty new.
Anyway, I watched what happened. It went through the usual routine, the Asus MB logo & list popped up,,,, a message from realtek popped up,,,, it got to ‘Starting Windows’,,,, but then went through it all again. I looked in the machine, but can’t see anything obvious. Everything seems to be running properly – everything is sitting straight & tight etc. I checked all cables & connections.

I had 99.9% ruled out a problem with the LG monitor, but after a few more tries, I attached my DVI one, ‘just in case’. I’m glad I did, as it brings up far more information when running through the boot up procedure.

It showed that I did have a problem with the innerds. It allowed me to boot in Safe Mode and I tried a System Restore to 7th Oct – to when all was well. It came back saying it couldn’t perform this. It offered a Repair run, which I accepted. That also came back with “can’t do owt – take it to a pro” (a bit thin on the ground in West Cornwall).

It won’t let me boot into Safe-Mode any more, just goes into ‘Startup Repair’ mode, which of course it can’t fix.

I have been running a Back-up routine on E: drive. It’s the first time I’ve tried a proper back-up thing, so not 100% certain if I’ve done it right.

I’m assuming that I should be able to boot via this ? If so – how, please ? When/if I get it running, I’ll need to find where the problem lies.
For the moment, it would be great to get it running – as usual, I am in the middle of a couple of important things – grrrr

Any ideas please ?

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

ASUS M5A78L-Mlx + Phenom IIx2 + 4gb + 500w psu + IE9 + Win 7 ult – 32bit

All newish – 12 months old

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

When you created your backup, and assuming it was a Full backup, did you also create a Emergency Restore CD?

If so, you should be able to start with that CD in the drive and then switch on, to enable your Restore to continue.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

this might help: How to Recover from an Infinitely Looping Startup Repair Loop without Reinstalling Windows ClickHere sevenforums.com

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If you have a Operating System CD i.e a\XP CD or Win7 etc start with CD in drive then run setup when it asks, it will check your PC for any System Files, if it finds windows click on it to select it then press R to repair.

I think Windows Update as jiggered your system, you would be better disabling it and run it manually

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

woodchip:

*If you have a Operating System CD i.e a\XP CD or Win7 etc start with CD in drive then run setup when it asks, it will check your PC for any System Files, if it finds windows click on it to select it then press R to repair. I think Windows Update as jiggered your system, you would be better disabling it and run it manually.*

Thanks WW: I ended up doing that. My mate talked me through it, explaining to look for System Image. I did that, & it now working – well I say ‘working’, read on;

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

lotvic :

this might help: How to Recover from an Infinitely Looping Startup Repair Loop without Reinstalling Windows ClickHere sevenforums.com.

Thanks for the link. I did try it whilst waiting to make contact with my mate. I couldn’t get it to show X:\ in DOS. I couldn’t get it to show anything other than the physical drives,,, nothing with RAM etc. I tried cutting corners and going direct to both C:\ & E:\, but to no avail. I had to leave it. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nontek:

When you created your backup, and assuming it was a Full backup, did you also create a Emergency Restore CD?

Cheers: No I didn’t do a separate disc. I bought a 1Tb hdd just for the back-ups,,,, but of course, if it doesn’t boot, I can’t get access to it. For future reference, how do I create a CD ?

The machine now boots up – thank you all. 1) I restored it back to System Image on 7th Oct 2012. I am annoyed that I have lost a couple of very important letters that I had stored on MS-Office (Word) and a copy that I emailed vis Thunderbird. I’m going to look on Windows Live to see if I can get it off the hub, or something. It was to George Osborne, so I need to have a copy of what I sent ?!

2) During the initial boot-up this morning, I noticed an addition to the Realtek message, it ran something like: INTEL UNDI PXE-2.1 Build 083. R + PCIe GBE Family Controller server v2.38 12/24/10 Client MAC ADDR 54 04 A6 F2

Next screen: Update: 4772

I thought it was a one-off message due to restoring etc, but when I did a re-boot to get the latest MS Updates, it did it again.

I am now worried that it might happen again,,,, it would be nice to know what caused it.

Thanks again to you all.

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

damn thing,,,, it posted before I finished editing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

As I said set Windows Update to Manual and do a Custom install of them, you can run it from start menu under Windows Updates. As you have done a Repair you will need to download all security Updates etc but do not do them all at once, create a Restore point before each set of updates so you can go back if it does not go right

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

As I said set Windows Update to Manual and do a Custom install of them, you can run it from start menu under Windows Updates. As you have done a Repair you will need to download all security Updates etc but do not do them all at once, create a Restore point before each set of updates so you can go back if it does not go right

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Sorry PCA being a Pain, Giving Site Error Warning

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

Cheers for the update WW: Sorry for the delay: I keep 'not' getting notifications. It dosn't matter if I tick the box or not.

My problem with downloading updates manually, is that I don't know which are good, essential, carp etc,,,,, and rather stupidly, I have always trusted the MS ones !? ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**INTEL UNDI PXE-2.1 Build 083. R + PCIe GBE Family Controller server v2.38 12/24/10 Client MAC ADDR 54 04 A6 F2 GUID: CO437A81 - ????-????-???? DHCP _ _ _ _/**

Any idea why I get this now ? I had assumed it was something to do with a PCI card, but I don't seem to have a 2.1 slot. ASUS 5M78 has: 1.1 + 16 + 1.

Nothing happens,,,, it just adds to the boot-up time, which I didn't have before.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Tips for selling on eBay: auction tactics to get the best price for second-hand products