We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I want to restore an ASUS laptop to factory settings.

laptopdunce
Resolved

Likes # 0

I recently had great advice on how to wipe drives on an Acer laptop and now I want to wipe the drives on my ASUS X58L laptop and restore it to factory settings, I have three Disks, one called Recovery DVD, one called Driver & utility X58L for CPW and one for Asus DVD, Power2go, label print, power producer, power director and media show. So what should I do after I have backed up all the docs and photos? is there a special procedure with this laptop? I want to set it back to factory settings as it is running very very slow and I cant seem to get Internet Explorer to work properly at all, even with the latest Vista version loaded, it only working on internet with a Google chrome browser. After doing the complete restore and recovery on the Acer laptop it works like new and I think this is the only solution for this Asus X58L laptop. thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Asus Laptop Recovery Tap on F9 when Asus logo appears.. for details, follow link below: http://support.asus.com/technicaldoc...e=en-us&NO=498

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post  
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

OK thanks for that, do you think it would be wise to use method 1 para 5 in the Asus recovery info l;ink? where it says:- Recover Windows to entire HD with two partitions. This option deletes all partitions from your hard drive and creates two new partitions "C" (25%) and "D" (75%).

I think it is currently showing a C and D drive, its not a huge capacity laptop and I only really use it for emails and minor administration/photo storage, think the D drive is currently VistaOS 27.8gb used, 28.03 gb free and on the D drive (where the phots and documents folders are) it is showing as D driver used 17.5gb, 28.3gb free. thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

OK, I am actually doing the two partitons recovery now from the CD from, seems OK so far, I am sure I will have to come back to you and pester you about things like re-installing programmes and adding my extra USB socket peripherals, I seem to remember that external drives have to be assigned a drive letter on this laptop (which is one of the reasons I have never liked this Asus laptop - it has to all be manually installed and doesnt assign drive letters automatically, as just one niggle with it) Will let you know how I get on. I know I will lose all my extra programmes like Paint.net and adobe pdf readers etc., LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

FruitBat, that seems to have all worked OK!!I have reloaded all the photos and docs again. I have just connected it to the internet and its launched IE quite well and now it DOES connect to internet well, I have shut it down though as I want to install Avast anti-virus tomorrow and start on re-installing all the CD roms for the printer and other things. I also want to know how to install my own homepage picture, but that can wait, at the moment I only have a set of programmes on the home page from Asus that I dont think I will use much, there is Napster, Online storage, Launch ability office (an Asus own Word programme?) quick games, Roxio creator LE10, Splendid utility, download store and Geeksquad - would your recommend that I de-install all of these from the control panel? as I intend to use my own "word 98" programme, Paint.net photo programme, etc., also should I put the Asus CD rom in for t he Asus's own Power2go, label print, power producer, power director and media show?? I have never used this before, if I copy a DVD I normally use DVD shrink and DVD decrypt programme. What do you advise? thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September