We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Which anti-virus solution are you all using?

LastChip
Resolved

Likes # 0

Many of the regulars here will know I am a huge Linux fan and hence have strayed away from Windows world for a number of years. So one could say, I'm out of touch!

However, my son's girlfriend has just bought a Windows 7 laptop for University and has asked me to install anti-virus software for her. Needless to say, as a student she's broke and so I need a free option.

So my question is, what are you all using now, that has a reasonable footprint (i.e. not a huge performance hit and bloated) and you find generally effective?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Avast for many years.

Like this post
N47.

Likes # 0

Microsoft essentials for us on all our computers. Does a good job.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

You do not state what security came installed on the Laptop ? many banks also provide free security which can be downloaded and installed.

Like this post
CurlyWhirly

Likes # 0

Kaspersky Internet Security 2013

Like this post
bluesbrother

Likes # 0

I completely agree with FE, there's none better than AVG. The free version is great but if you would rather pay you can get AVG AntiVirus 2013 for £7

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Norton 360 on 3 machines (I got for doing the Beta test) and MS security Essentials on daughters old laptop.

Like this post
bluesbrother

Likes # 0

Re AVG link above. I just spotted a better deal on the same site.

AVG Anti-Virus 2013 [2-PC, 2-YR] includes 2-PC, 2-Year license £14.99

Actual price at the check out is £12.60. An extra £2.48 for 'Extended Download Insurance' gets you a free copy of CyberLink Media Suite 9

FE. Sorry if this looks like spam, but I do love a bargain.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

As always when you ask this sort of question, you get so many different responses. I wouldn't touch AVG with a bargepole having seen numerous computers that were suffering because of it. I'd opt for MSE or Avast.

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

Speak as you find. I have used AVG and Avast in the past, but now use Microsoft Security Essentials with Windows Firewall and the bought version of Malwarebytes.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Mainly Norton 360 at the moment, on 3 different computers.

On one partitioned [dual-boot] laptop, Norton 360 is on one partition and Avast 7 [free] is on the other.

Here's a little poser...

Would I be able to install Norton 360 on both partitions [of the same laptop], and effectively have 4 Norton 360 installations (in total), but still keeping within the 3PCs limit?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Google Fit vs Apple Health Kit: What's the difference?

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

Government kills £50 million 'Silicon Roundabout' regeneration fund