We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Which anti-virus solution are you all using?

LastChip
Resolved

Likes # 0

Many of the regulars here will know I am a huge Linux fan and hence have strayed away from Windows world for a number of years. So one could say, I'm out of touch!

However, my son's girlfriend has just bought a Windows 7 laptop for University and has asked me to install anti-virus software for her. Needless to say, as a student she's broke and so I need a free option.

So my question is, what are you all using now, that has a reasonable footprint (i.e. not a huge performance hit and bloated) and you find generally effective?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Free Avast on all mine XP home, except and old Win98se dual boot with XP home So that runs Avast plus Achilles Shield on 98se

Like this post
VCR97

Likes # 0

Microsoft Security Essentials is free and is supposed to be good. Have a look for it on Google.

Like this post
kad60

Likes # 0

Winpatrol FREE...i use paid version but used this for a year and very impressed,informs you of changes made to your system and informs you and protects.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Free Avira, for a few years with no probs

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

IMHO for W7 Microsoft Security Essentials with Windows Firewall plus Malwarebytes and/or Superantispyware is all that's needed - hardly know it's there but never had a problem.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Avast AV

WIndows defender - realtime antispy Malwarebytes - weekly scan for malware Spywareblaster - spyware blocker

Haven't seen a porblem for years with this combination

ocasional scan with Hitman pro + Super antispyware just to check others doing the job

However whatever AV you use you need commonsense when browsing to back them up ;0)

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

-ditto- marvin42

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

kad60

Win Patrol is not a anti-virus program.

Like this post
Belatucadrus

Likes # 0

avast! on the desktop and Outpost suite on the laptop. I'm thinking of trying out Roboscan or Un-Threat, both new but have been tested by VirusBulletin and got passes on their VB100.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Good old AVG - the free version - is the only anti-virus product currently installed on all my computers. I've used it for years, and haven't had any problems with viruses for as long as I can remember.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK