We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

wireless network update problem

rubygxx

Likes # 0

Hello, i have a friends laptop here and the only thing i need to do now is figure out how to get the wireless network adaptor update when i cannot connect to the internet to get the update as there is a problem with the wireless network connection adaptor, it is in update but i cant download it, anyone know how else i can get it , thanks

Like this post
rubygxx

Likes # 0

Just had a look in device manager after running the troubleshooter for the pc, it said the microsoft virtual wifi miniport adaptor was not working, in device manager i found the yellow exclamation mark against it, tried to update driver and got this message, windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it - microsoft virtual wifi miniport adaptor, the laptop is an acer extensa 5230E windows 7 home premium, i have tried looking for the driver for this not had much luck, i do not think its the update i originally thought was the problem as the device manager had no problem with that . Thank you

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

download to another PC copy to mem stick

put mem stick in other laptop and point device manager to the on the memstick.

Like this post
rubygxx

Likes # 0

Hi fruitbat, i knew how to transfer from one pc to another , i was more worried about not getting the right driver , i finally found this driver :- atheros AR5B91 latest driver for acer extensa 5230E, downloaded it to my pc, transferred to external hard drive and installed it on the other laptop, it went through so far then i got this message - unable to copy this file - C:\users\Evelyn~1\AppData\local\temp(A7E9C95E-A9FC-4822-ACAD-907BD08DD665)\C3A32068-8AB1-4327-BB16-BED9C6219DC7\devAMD64.exe,C:\windows\temp\temp\devAMD64.exe. after i clicked ok it went on and said that driver was installed, but i still cannot connect to internet , going through troubleshooter and device manager i still get wireless network adaptor has a problem it cannot load the driver needed . Also when i was running another test to connect i got this -: there might be a problem with the driver for the local area connection, there might be a problem with the wireless network connection adaptor, the microsoft virtual wifi miniport adaptor is experiencing driver-or hardware -related problems, help, im getting nowhere here, thanks

Like this post
rubygxx

Likes # 0

Hi fruitbat, i knew how to transfer from one pc to another , i was more worried about not getting the right driver , i finally found this driver :- atheros AR5B91 latest driver for acer extensa 5230E, downloaded it to my pc, transferred to external hard drive and installed it on the other laptop, it went through so far then i got this message - unable to copy this file - C:\users\Evelyn~1\AppData\local\temp(A7E9C95E-A9FC-4822-ACAD-907BD08DD665)\C3A32068-8AB1-4327-BB16-BED9C6219DC7\devAMD64.exe,C:\windows\temp\temp\devAMD64.exe. after i clicked ok it went on and said that driver was installed, but i still cannot connect to internet , going through troubleshooter and device manager i still get wireless network adaptor has a problem it cannot load the driver needed . Also when i was running another test to connect i got this -: there might be a problem with the driver for the local area connection, there might be a problem with the wireless network connection adaptor, the microsoft virtual wifi miniport adaptor is experiencing driver-or hardware -related problems, help, im getting nowhere here, thanks

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

[ i found the yellow exclamation mark against it,] have you tried rolling back the driver or deleting it and see if Microsoft updates it.

Did you install the new Update from the Acer site.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Forgot to post the Acer Site.

http://www.acer.co.uk/ac/en/GB/content/drivers

I don't suppose running sfc /scannow in command prompt might help.Or start up repair in safe mode.

Like this post
rubygxx

Likes # 0

Hello Jock1e, no i have not tried deleting the driver in device manager, i tried updating but that did not work, also the updated driver i got was from another website as i couldnt find anything on the acer website, but i used your link and went and downloaded from there, put it on my external drive and installed on other laptop , it all seemed to install correctly, still no internet access from the other laptop, i keep coming back to this microsoft network connection adaptor, every test i run tells me it has a problem some say it cannot find load the driver, i think there may be a file or something missing in the windows system 32 drivers folder , i saw something come up on one of the troubleshooting attempts, i wrote down what it said but cant find where i have put it now, its bedtime , work early tomorrow so i will try again when i get home, also i did the repair this computer in safe mode, didnt help, cannot get online in safe mode either, thanks again

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow