We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Will USB Adaptor give WiFi access from Cabled PC

p.r.b
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi I have just been given a Sony PSP, my PC OS is Windows XP and has an ethernet cable connection ~ Virgin Media. I would like to connect the PSP to the internet but understand this can only be done with a WiFi connection which I don't have. I have seen wireless Internet USB adaptors on Amazon, would one of these give me the access I’m after, if so what are the things I should take into account. Cheers Paul

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If you have a wireless router then you can connect it to the internet regardless of how your PC isconnected.

http://techtips.salon.com/connect-psp-wifi-router-4791.html

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You need a wireless router not a usb adaptor. With Virgin do you just have a modem or a router as well?

Like this post
p.r.b

Likes # 0

I don't have a Router and don't need one for my PC. I had to load some photos to a portable device which I now have but before I get the appropriate card I was looking into internet connectivity for the PSP. I understand it needs to be WiFi which I don't have and wondered if there was some device I could plug into one of the USB ports on the computer to give a WiFi output, I saw this on Amazon and wondered if it would somehow give me what I wanted and thought I'd check here before placing my order for the card. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Internet-Adaptor-Dongle-Windows/dp/B002LC25LC/ref=sr12?ie=UTF8&qid=1349867623&sr=8-2 If I'm barking up the wrong tree there is no problem I'll just carry on as I am !! thanks for taking the time to reply Paul

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

If you don't have a wireless router the you will need to get a cable router or get hold of Virgin for one of their super hubs (modem/router) then you can make the PC wireless and the PSP will connect using it's inbuilt wireless.

Or are you talking about a connection from the PC to PSP wirelessly (Ad Hoc) if so look here Ad Hoc

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

A dongle is to get wireless access for a pc. It will not be a relay for the PSP. Unless you get a router then you'll need to "just carry on as I am".

Like this post
p.r.b

Likes # 0

Hi Woolwell yup thats my conclusion too ~ as I don't need wireless for my normal computer work I think I'll leave everything as it is for now. I'm sure it was a pretty basic question so my thanks to all who replied.

Cheers

Paul

Like this post
p.r.b

Likes # 0

I know I'm being thick but how do I give the green tick, I can't find any way of accessing it. When I last posted in 2011 I got a message saying if your query has been resolved etc etc but the layout seems different now, please accept this as confirmation that my query is resolved.

Like this post  
p.r.b

Likes # 0

don't say anything ~ just seen it what a plonker !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

Yes, you actually can.

click here for informations of how to set up ad hoc connection of a XP machine with ethernet broadband connection only & a wireless adapter installed in order to share file & internet with other PCs(in your case a PSP)

Like this post
p.r.b

Likes # 0

thanks for that, nice to know I'm not quite as daft as I thought I was !!!

Cheers

Paul

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite