We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Mapping drives on a new PC build

gusmantx

Likes # 0

I just completed the build on my first PC and m having a little difficulty with mapping the drives. I have Windows & loaded on a 60GD SSD so the PC will boot fast. No I want to add a 2TB SATA III drive to store my other programs and data. The issue is the drive is not appearing when I click on the computer ICON. What have I done wrong so that the drive is not being read and once that is fixed how do I ensure that additional programs and data load diretly to the SATA drive after the PC boots.

Thanks for any help!

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Which OS, if win7 right click on computer icon and select Manage/Disk Management, if the dish is showing check it has a drive letter.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Must check my spelling before posting.

Should read. If the disk is showing check it has a drive letter assigned.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

You need to format the drive before you can use it for data.

Right-Click on the My Computer icon either on your desktop or in the Start Menu and select Manage.

A new window titled Computer Management comes up. Select Storage from the left hand side by clicking it once, then select Disk Management(local) from the right side by double-clicking it. Find your new drive and format it with one large partition.

First you partition - do a primary partition if you want only one partition on the hard drive. Then you format the partition - again right click and select format use NTSF - use default allocation size and give the new volume a label (no spaces allowed in the name).

You can then move all the My Folders to the secondary drive this way. But you will need to remember that when you install a program it will still automatically go to the C drive, that's fine. But if you install games then it will still be necessary to install it to the bigger drive.

I have a 128GB M4 with my OS and programs,I have a 1TB HDD for my Steam folder and other games and yet another 1TB HDD for films,music, pictures etc.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

When loading Games Programs or anything, you should choose Custom Install not just click Setup. Then put it on the Drive you want it on. But all Programs Games etc will load things on C:\ even with a custom Install as first they are mapped to Regedit. Drivers also go into £Windows System 32 folder

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 930 review: The flagship Windows Phone 8.1 smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Live Blog: Apple financial results, record June quarter, 35.2m iPhones sold, $37.4b revenue

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger