We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

network/internet access denied

clwyd

Likes # 0

Today, my wife cannot access the internet on her desktop computer running XP home. (1)The ethernet card was 'hidden' in device manager. (2)Checking 'status' shows the card enabled - but there is no device showing in 'network connections'. (3)The device driver cannot be changed, updated or rolled back if I unhide it in Device Manager. (4)System restore fails to complete successfully, leaving everything as was - although I've tried several restore points. (5) I cannot 'disable' the connection, PC says it is in use and not available to disable. I suspect malware of some form and have pulled the connection to the router for now. The PC is protected by Kaspersky Internet Suite 2012, and we've never had a problem before. Any guidance useful.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Have you tried simply shutting down the desktop pc, wait a minute or two, then re-start in normal way.

This might be all that is needed.

Nothing to lose, so worth a try.

Like this post
clwyd

Likes # 0

Unfortunately that was my first response - that there might have been a glitch in the boot-up. Sadly it proved not to be the case.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

i would suspect that the ethernet part of the mobo is duff. For the sake of a tenner, may be worth trying something like this.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Have you tried safe mode with networking to see if it will work or last good configuration in safe mode.

Try with your firewall turned off or try Internet options.Lan settings. and make sure automatically connect is ticked.And underneath that ,use proxy server,

If anything on that disable it.

Could it be something in Services which has stopped running.I know it would be WLAN for wireless but not sure what it is for Lan settings.

Like this post
clwyd

Likes # 0

Thanks for your input guys. No sign of malware, virus or other malicious code - so invested in a 10/100/1000 ethernet card, at a very reasonable £7.76, with free p&p from Amazon. Installed very easily and 'Hello World'. I was then able to uninstall the onboard ethernet port. The missus is pleased to be online again, so this case has a happy ending - and my mysterious earache problem has thankfully cleared up.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

I you tried booting it with Safe Mode Network Enabled Tapping F8 as it starts. This will stop lots of drivers from Loading but you will be able to test the network to see if you can connect.

If Restore Points do not Work, you have to Stop Restore running then restart it for it to create a new point

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Woodchip

He says he's sorted now!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Is this the actual Note 4 - video

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...