We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

solving keyboard issues on laptop

zanneth

Likes # 0

Hi Guys

I have been having problems with my keyboard for some time now, but it has got progressively worse recently. When I am typing the cursor will suddenly jump to another line, or if I press shift for a capital the whole area typed will highlight and disappear. The worst one is the W key, most of the time I have to hit the key hard for it to work and other times it spells out twice in succession. I have been onto the supplier once and was talked through a reset of the config of the keyboard, but that didn't really solve the issue. I have put up with it and got used to it, but now I am having to watch every keystroke I make, as I have had to do tying this. Does anyone have any ideas, aside from throwing the laptop at the nearest wall!! Thanks

Zanneth

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Is it at all possible that someone has spilled something on the keyboard? You're describing the classic symptoms.

Like this post
zanneth

Likes # 0

Hi Ian

No to that, nothing has been spilled. Iv'e also checked the driver and that's up to date. I'm really puzzled as everything I try makes no difference..

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Probably full of muck

see here to clean

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

On most laptops, it's cheap and easy to swap it for a new one. If you're reluctant to do that, and you use the laptop mainly in the same place, you could plug-in a USB one for a fiver. What make and model is it?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Is this the actual Note 4 - video

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...