We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wireless conection

Ex plorer

Likes # 0

Hi I recently changed my Modem from BT Voyager to one of Tiscali’s own D-Link DSL-2680.

The Dell PC all in-one found it and connected without problems, I also have my old laptop OS vista that connects by hardwire but not wirelessly.

Wireless LAN is on.

I have spent the past three hours trying to make the connection but to no avail.

I have tried to connect from Quick Start and that won’t work. The wireless Network Name and Password are on the D-Link so no problem inserting them when asked for.

Tried switching it off for a minute and on again. Tried a reset from the modem and that won’t work only to the Dell PC. Tried a manual connection, and by wizard, and no joy.

The lap top can see DSL-2680 and shows strong connection but won’t connect wirelessly. It must be something I am just over looking.

Network and sharing. Password protecting sharing is on. Network discovering On, There is no one near me that can see my Network at the moment.

54.0 Mbps Sent 814 received 0

Wireless properties ticked Connect automatically when this network is in range.

Wireless security Key I put the wireless password in of the modem is that right?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Some laptops have a wifi on/off switch, usually an F number combo - i.e. hold Fn key and F7 or similar .... is yours like this? May need to be switched on!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It's switched on otherwise it would not see the router nor show strong connection.

Have you correctly inserted your wireless password?

However is the router broadcasting b/g as well as n? An old laptop may be b/g only?

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

Hi sorry its been along time getting back, b/g and n was broad casting on the laptop.

I have spent hours trying to connect but to no avail.

Just to make sure all passwords etc. were correct I copied how the PC was set up only difference is PC is win 7, and laptop is Vista.

What I have done is connect my old BT Voyager back up and now the laptop is working.

Maybe the D-Link DSL-2680 isn't compatible with my laptop I will check it out and report back.

My only recollection is that the D-Link would not be usable until some changes were made either by talktalk, or some kind of update that would take place during the first part of the year maybe at the exchange.

Laptop is only just over three years old.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes