We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Replacing hard drive in laptop, advice pls

AroundAgain
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi guys

Yes, another 'project'!! I love it but only with your help. I learn such a lot by 'tinkering' ;)

Laptop, HP Compaq Presario C700, Intel Pentium Dual T2310 @ 1.46GHz, RAM 2G running Vista SP2, with only 80Gb Hard drive, 10Gb of which is partitioned for Recovery files. Of the remaining 70Gb, even with moving as much as possible to the External Drive (1Tb), it is often 'in the red'. After a clear out today, there is now 7Gb free!!!!

So, I assume (? correctly) that a larger hard drive would improve the situation???

I have found the part number and details of the hard drive and searched around on the internet, it would seem I could buy a new HDD with 1yr warranty without too much problem.

My questions are -

Are there any pitfalls/major risks that I should be aware of?

Is this OK to do myself, with tutorials/YouTube?

Would buying 'new' on ebay be a huge risk, if rating is good and a registered business/outlet?

Any particular recommendations of online business of particularly high reputation with reasonable prices?

Sorry to list so many questions but I don't want to get myself in hot water, do I??? ;)

Thanks for any help or advice

Cheers

PS Last 'project' to increase RAM on friend's PC has been very sucessful :) Thanks to all who helped me there.

Note to Chronus - you'll be pleased to learn my 'old' PC is now behaving well - since I installed the drivers!!! Ha! So stupid of me ;) Oh well, there you go - live and learn, eh? Hope you OK. J

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I'm not familiar with Easeus but it look as if you've cloned 'as is'. The A: partition might be hidden on the original drive. What you need to do now is physically swap the drives over. Windows can get confused if you have two drives connected without a boot manager. Boot with the new drive in situe, check all is working ok, then go to disk managment, you should have unallocated space to the right of C:. Extend the C: partition.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I should say, Windows gets confused with two hard drives connected and each has an operating system and no boot manager.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Just had a look at your link again. The A: partition is the duplicate of D:. So swap drives and boot with the new one. You should see C:, unallocated space to the right and D: partition to the right of the unallocated space. Expand the C: partition and you should see all of the hard drive. I'm getting confused now lol.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Thanks, rdave

Sorry to be causing you confusion - it comes naturally to me!!! ;)

I've just been checking up in the manual re how to get at the drive etc. I'll be having a go at this either later this evening or tomorrow as I don't have much time today.

I will post back as soon as I have something to post ;)

Thanks very much. I really appreciate all this help.

Cheers J

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Hi folks

Amazingly, the laptop has fired up with the new drive installed! Yippee!!!

I now have the drives labelled as 'C' - Local Drive, 67.5Gb; 'D' Presario RP 7.05Gb(Recovery partition); and 'F' 391.23 RAW. The HDD is 500Gb so I assume that is about right.

However, I would like 'C' drive to be expanded to incorporate the 'F' 391Gb. I've looked this up but then made a mistake! Oops! I right clicked on the F partition, and clicked on Delete Volume. Only then did I realise the Recovery disc is in between C and F. Not good!

So, is there a way to recify this mistake of mine, or do I need to start again? If I have to start over, will I need to swap the HDD back to original or is there a way to do this with the old HDD connected via the casing/usb?

As ever, many thanks to you all

Cheers

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Surely if you ever use the 'D' Presario RP 7.05Gb(Recovery partition) it would wipe the C and restore it back to original 'C' - Local Drive, 67.5Gb so negating the proposed expansion of size?

Perhaps, whilst you are playing with it you could try that out and see what happens.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Hi lotvic,

Thanks for responding last night. I'm not quite understanding what you are meaning.

I don't want to restore to factory settings by using 'D' Recovery partition. I want to keep a recovery partition (7Gb approx) and have the remaining 400 odd Gb as one partition, rather than split into two as it is at the moment.

So, can I join the two partitions and keep the Recovery partition? Failing this, I'll start over but as I'm not sure where I should have determined the size and number of partitions, I will likely end up with the same?

Please keep the help coming ...

Cheers, and thanks J

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I use Free EaseUS® Partition Master 9.1.1 Home Edition for sorting partitions out. You can move them, extend them, create format etc etc

you will have to move the Recovery partition to the end of the drive so that you can then extend C: There are good screenshot tutorials on link http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm they also show how to do within Vista as well as EaseUS PM.

Like this post  
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Hi

Thanks again, lotvic

I'm now downloading EaseUS PM 9.1.1 Home Ed, having read what it is about. Yes, it looks like just what I need so most appreciative.

Hopefully, all will go well. I'll post back with outcome but, because I'm busy over the weekend, and my friend can use the laptop over the next few days, it may be well into the week before I get enough time to complete all this.

Anyway, optimisim springs forth again now...

Thanks so much for all the help J

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You can restore the Deleted Partition using TestDisc put it on a USB drive and set PC to boot from USB then run the Program or Use Windows TestDisk as it's not C:/ that you deleted it should find and restore it from within Windows

Click Hear to Find Out

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote