We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Replacing hard drive in laptop, advice pls

AroundAgain
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi guys

Yes, another 'project'!! I love it but only with your help. I learn such a lot by 'tinkering' ;)

Laptop, HP Compaq Presario C700, Intel Pentium Dual T2310 @ 1.46GHz, RAM 2G running Vista SP2, with only 80Gb Hard drive, 10Gb of which is partitioned for Recovery files. Of the remaining 70Gb, even with moving as much as possible to the External Drive (1Tb), it is often 'in the red'. After a clear out today, there is now 7Gb free!!!!

So, I assume (? correctly) that a larger hard drive would improve the situation???

I have found the part number and details of the hard drive and searched around on the internet, it would seem I could buy a new HDD with 1yr warranty without too much problem.

My questions are -

Are there any pitfalls/major risks that I should be aware of?

Is this OK to do myself, with tutorials/YouTube?

Would buying 'new' on ebay be a huge risk, if rating is good and a registered business/outlet?

Any particular recommendations of online business of particularly high reputation with reasonable prices?

Sorry to list so many questions but I don't want to get myself in hot water, do I??? ;)

Thanks for any help or advice

Cheers

PS Last 'project' to increase RAM on friend's PC has been very sucessful :) Thanks to all who helped me there.

Note to Chronus - you'll be pleased to learn my 'old' PC is now behaving well - since I installed the drivers!!! Ha! So stupid of me ;) Oh well, there you go - live and learn, eh? Hope you OK. J

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Here's the Western Digital Acronis Free from WD website

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

lotvic

see page 2 10:55 seems the free version no longer supports cloning.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Hi

Well, this is not proving easy!

Thanks for the links for WD Acronis but it won't install as the HD is not WD, although the new drive is, and I even attached it via usb but that didn't help.

So, I've installed EaseUS, clicked on Clone disc, but I'm stuck. I can't see anything for me to do/click but the 'Next' button is greyed out, so I can't move on from this screen.

Here is a shot of what is on the laptop screen. Hopefully, someone can advise me, please?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/707/29431384.jpg/

Thanks, folks

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\, strange as both your link and mine have cloning in description.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Todo tutorial, your usb hard drive is either not connected of needs formatting to NTFS as it's not being seen by Easeus.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

PS, you need to connect the usb drive before running Todo.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Yes, I read they were both ok for cloning, so something I'm not doing! Possibly having the new drive to clone to plugged in would help!!! Thanks for pointing that out. I did connect it but only after trying to run the program. Yes, rather stupid of me, eh?

So, I'll have another go later but am out all day today.

Thanks. rdave, you have an early start!!!

Thanks, catch you later, or 2moro

Cheers

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Just had another try, with the new drive connected, but still the same screen.

I checked in Explorer and, in fact, the new drive isn't showing so I'm not connecting it properly maybe?

This is what I've got for casing - http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/525/20121016075420.jpg/

It has the mini-usb one end and then has two usbs. I've been connecting with what I assumed was the 'main' one, but should I be doing something with the other, shorter one, perhaps?

I've tried it on my pc and it doesn't show up here either. How can I test if maybe the casing or the drive is faulty, or whatever?

Thanks so much for your help

Like this post
Miké

Likes # 0

The two usb plugs are to ensure that the external drive has sufficient power, plug them in to adjacent usb sockets.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You need to connect both USB's one is to power the Drive other is for Data

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more