We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Replacing hard drive in laptop, advice pls

AroundAgain
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi guys

Yes, another 'project'!! I love it but only with your help. I learn such a lot by 'tinkering' ;)

Laptop, HP Compaq Presario C700, Intel Pentium Dual T2310 @ 1.46GHz, RAM 2G running Vista SP2, with only 80Gb Hard drive, 10Gb of which is partitioned for Recovery files. Of the remaining 70Gb, even with moving as much as possible to the External Drive (1Tb), it is often 'in the red'. After a clear out today, there is now 7Gb free!!!!

So, I assume (? correctly) that a larger hard drive would improve the situation???

I have found the part number and details of the hard drive and searched around on the internet, it would seem I could buy a new HDD with 1yr warranty without too much problem.

My questions are -

Are there any pitfalls/major risks that I should be aware of?

Is this OK to do myself, with tutorials/YouTube?

Would buying 'new' on ebay be a huge risk, if rating is good and a registered business/outlet?

Any particular recommendations of online business of particularly high reputation with reasonable prices?

Sorry to list so many questions but I don't want to get myself in hot water, do I??? ;)

Thanks for any help or advice

Cheers

PS Last 'project' to increase RAM on friend's PC has been very sucessful :) Thanks to all who helped me there.

Note to Chronus - you'll be pleased to learn my 'old' PC is now behaving well - since I installed the drivers!!! Ha! So stupid of me ;) Oh well, there you go - live and learn, eh? Hope you OK. J

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Hi again

OK, so have now done a bit of reading and stuff and consequently just a couple more questions.

The laptop has a partitioned HDD (C and D) containing the Recovery stuff D/drive. Will there be some sort of choice to clone the whole HDD, ie both C and D, 'as is'? Or will I have to clone C and D separately?

I have a SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 cable. Presumably that can be used? However, I think, as the price is minimal, I'll order the caddy as suggested by rdave13, as that can then be used as resident backup more easily. I notice it doesn't have power cable so will there be enough power to the caddy via the USB connection to run a such a drive?

So, basically, I will download/install the cloning software, attach the new drive in the caddy to the laptop. Then Copy the entire C&D drive to the new drive in the caddy. Then, remove the original HDD, replace with the new, larger capacity, HDD, fire up and (finger's crossed and much prayer) Bingo? I have read you can take old drive out, new drive in, make a bootable disc etc but it seems a bit more complicated to me. Am I missing something???

So, I'll see about getting the new drive now so that I should be able to do this next week sometime.

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

The caddy I got from Amazon had the cable with it and it was only £4 odds for it all.

It runs ok using the usb connection to the caddy but then again I was just searching anything that my grand Daughter had left behind.

Sorry I can't answer any of your other questions.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

will there be enough power to the caddy via the USB connection to run a such a drive?

Yes, + your other sata/ide cable will work fine as well

Clonezilla will clone multi partitions see this tutorial

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You are better to clone the full Drive so that you can Restore from D:/ if it goes wrong later

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Hi there

Well, I now have the new hard drive and hope to clone to this later today. I hope to use the Seagate DiscWizard but, on reading, it says it works on Seagate and Maxtor drives.

So, question - Does this mean it is not suitable for Western Digital, which is what the new drive is?

Also, the instructions say that Vista users to have OS installation disc or CD ready for after the cloning. I have neither of these, nor a recovery disc, so does that mean I'm stumped??? I will say, at this point, this is a friend's laptop (yes, another friend ;)) who has never created a recovery disc. There is a recovery partition on the current hard drive, though.

So, next question - Am I likely to need a Vista CD? Can I create one, if needed, on the laptop before starting anything?

Thanks for all your help and support.

Cheers

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Acronis TI WD editon

http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119

I've never needed a installation DVD to copy a drive using Acronis.

The only difference between this free version and the paid for version (I have) is the free version will not run schedule backups.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Thanks, Fruit Bat

I just had a quick look at your link and will download this to use.

Thanks again, will report back later in the day. Nipping out just now!

Cheers

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Hi

I'm really disappointed. Acronis does not allow cloning in the trial version! Does anyone know different???

This means I need to uninstall Acronis and download something else.

So, back to the drawing board re a program to clone the drive...

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post
Miké

Likes # 0

An alternative to Acronis Is Easus Todo the free version definitely supports cloning, I have used this for some while an excellent program!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Fire HD 6 is a really good value tablet. The Amazon Fire HD 7 isn't. Amazon Fire HD 6 and...

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

ACLU's Halloween-themed animation warns of dangers of ignoring threats to your privacy

IDG UK Sites

20 lesser-known tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert