We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Replacing hard drive in laptop, advice pls

AroundAgain
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi guys

Yes, another 'project'!! I love it but only with your help. I learn such a lot by 'tinkering' ;)

Laptop, HP Compaq Presario C700, Intel Pentium Dual T2310 @ 1.46GHz, RAM 2G running Vista SP2, with only 80Gb Hard drive, 10Gb of which is partitioned for Recovery files. Of the remaining 70Gb, even with moving as much as possible to the External Drive (1Tb), it is often 'in the red'. After a clear out today, there is now 7Gb free!!!!

So, I assume (? correctly) that a larger hard drive would improve the situation???

I have found the part number and details of the hard drive and searched around on the internet, it would seem I could buy a new HDD with 1yr warranty without too much problem.

My questions are -

Are there any pitfalls/major risks that I should be aware of?

Is this OK to do myself, with tutorials/YouTube?

Would buying 'new' on ebay be a huge risk, if rating is good and a registered business/outlet?

Any particular recommendations of online business of particularly high reputation with reasonable prices?

Sorry to list so many questions but I don't want to get myself in hot water, do I??? ;)

Thanks for any help or advice

Cheers

PS Last 'project' to increase RAM on friend's PC has been very sucessful :) Thanks to all who helped me there.

Note to Chronus - you'll be pleased to learn my 'old' PC is now behaving well - since I installed the drivers!!! Ha! So stupid of me ;) Oh well, there you go - live and learn, eh? Hope you OK. J

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Use Acronis to Create an Image of the Drive that's in the laptop onto a External USB drive. Fit the new Drive Start Laptop with Acronis CD or Created Rescue Disc and Load the Image from the USB drive. When Creating the Image you need to put it on the first Partition of the USB drive so that it can be seen by Acronis when you start with USB drive connected and booting with the above Acronis Media

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Ha! I thought it was too easy!!! Thanks, woodchip, clearly a learning curve developing here!!! ;)

I've never used Acronis or any other similar, so that will be a first. It will also be a very useful thing to get experience with too, eh?

So, thanks for that. I'll have to read up about what that entails before embarking on this proper!

Cheers

Like this post
mole1944

Likes # 0

I've just put larger drives in both a laptop and a desktop,i used Acronis and the clone optonto copy my original disc to the new one.I used an external sata docking station to o it, when it's done just replace the cloned drive back in your lapi/desktop and your way with a larger drive and a spare other drive this i format and get a silicone case to keep it safe,hope this helps.

Like this post
mole1944

Likes # 0

I've just put larger drives in both a laptop and a desktop,i used Acronis and the clone optonto copy my original disc to the new one.I used an external sata docking station to o it, when it's done just replace the cloned drive back in your lapi/desktop and your way with a larger drive and a spare other drive this i format and get a silicone case to keep it safe,hope this helps.

Like this post
mole1944

Likes # 0

Sorry for the double post but this site seems to be getting slower and more unstable,it may be me but it is definately flakey

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

As above really but I'd clone rather than using an image. Download Easus to the laptop and read the help files on how to clone. I use Paragon so you'll need to read the Easus instructions on how to clone. Buy one of this type of enclosure and put one of these into the enclosure. Clone the laptop's harddrive to the USB connected one. Swap hard drives. A video showing how to change a laptop hard drive, click here, not the same model but gives a very good idea. One mistake in the vid. is that the battery was not removed. Make sure you remove it before opening a compartment on the laptop! Once you've swapped the hdds just boot the laptop up and you should be up and running.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

PS, you can check Ebay for a new drive but I've found they're not as cheap there as you might think.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I got a new hard drive from Amazon so worth a look on there.

Never changed a hard drive on a laptop before but it only took me about 10 minutes to remove the old one and install the new one.

I understand that there is a new type of hard drive which runs a lot quicker so more expensive to buy.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Bought several from ebay with no problems (last week, 360Gb for 30 quid).

Not wishing to saturate you with info, but when I do this I use Seagate's own slimmed down, free version of Acronis to clone the drive to a new one in a caddy. It's a doddle to do.

Some useful reading from their site here

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Wow! Thanks guys, for all this advice. I'll be reading up later but just off out now. Cheers

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Leaked 'Windows 9' screenshots showcase all-new Start menu

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer