We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Laptop freezing and crashing

mcveighonline

Likes # 0

Hi - my laptop is an Acer aspire 7551G. I am running Windows 7. Firstly i want to note that the fan seems to run all the time and sometimes the bottom of the laptop is hot to the touch. However the crash takes place at times when the laptop is not hot. The crash usually happens when i am on IE9 and always when i am moving the cursor. The curser freezes then after a few seconds the screen goes blank - sometimes white, black, green, gray and yes a few times the dreaded blue screen of Death. I then have to press and hold the power button to reboot. The crash also has happened when using chrome and also happens everytime i try to play the chess game and sometimes spider solitare. It is now happening at least once a day. I have ran virus scans etc and came up clear so i reinstalled to factory settings an it still happens. Other possibly related faults:- when i wake the laptop up from sleeping, 50% of the time the screen activtes the goes dark again. I resleep and reawake it and its fine. Also skype wont quit the program no matter how many times i reinstall it. Also when i go too start - Internet Explorer - In Privte Browsing; it opens the Windows/System 32 folder.

Apologies for the long post - any ideas?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

could be a faulty memory stick try running something like memtest to check the memory.

Like this post
mcveighonline

Likes # 0

Thanks for the reply. The crash has happened both when i have a memory stick in and also times when i dont but i will give memtest a try.

Ps. i noticed reading my post that i stated the crash happens when the laptop is not hot - what i meant was both when it is hot and when its not.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Autoreboot Disable

1. Click on the Start button and then on Control Panel. Tip: In a hurry? Type system in the search box after clicking Start. Choose System under the Control Panel heading in the list of results and then skip to Step 4.

2. Click on the System and Security link. Note: If you're viewing the Small icons or Large icons view of Control Panel, you won't see this link. Simply double-click on the System icon and proceed to Step 4.

3. Click on the System link.

4. In the task pane on the left, click the Advanced system settings link.

5. Locate the Startup and Recovery section near the bottom of the window and click on the Settings button.

6. In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.

7. Click OK in the Startup and Recovery window.

8. Click OK in the System Properties window.

9. You can now close the System window.

10. From now on, when a problem causes a BSOD or another major error that halts the system, Windows 7 will not force a reboot. You'll have to reboot manually when an error appears.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

First things first: Give the air vents and everything else, that you can access, a good clean. On many Lappys you can unscrew a panel to access the air vent.

The prescribed method is Compressed Air, but I use a stiff 1" Paintbrush (Bristle, not nylon) and a hair Dryer. Best do it in the garden, or you'll be set to do the dusting for the next couple of weeks.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

It's overheating, It needs striping down and the CPU Heat Exchanger Cleaning out. This can not be cleaned in any other way. My guess is this laptop is a few years old or been used on soft or dusty places Smoking quadruples the effect as its like tar on the Exchanger

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

You could also run chkdsk and remember to tick both boxes Only if the heating is coming from under the hard drive compartment.

Have you tried device manager to see if there is any yellow exclamation marks about.

Does Taskmanager show anything using up a lot of the cpu.System idle process should show about 97% if there is nothing running which is normal.

Like this post
mcveighonline

Likes # 0

OK guys, thanks to you all for getting back to me.

I ran the Memtest program, it took about 2hours, let it go until it reached 102%. It came up all clear.

I checked the Device Manager and it is all clear.

I ran chkdsk and it was all clear.

I have Task Manager open now and the CPU Usage is jumping between 2&10%. I'm not completely sure but i think it all looks normal. System Idle is running 97-99%.

I totally demolished the laptop ( nerve wrecking stuff :-) ). The inside was actually pretty dust free. I gave it all a clean with the cold hairdryer and successfully reassembled it thank God.

The only thing i havent tried is disabling the autoreboot. I was just unsure about why i was doing this.....maybe you can explain to me Fruit Bat? Sorry.

Other than that i suppose i just have to wait to see if it still freezes and crashes.

Cheers guys!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...