We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Removal of MadSafe anivirus programme difficulty

compumac

Likes # 0

I have an Origin laptop that needs attention (a lot of). This has two Antivirus programmes on it - AVG 2012 Free and MadeSafe Antivirus that I have never heard of. The person to whom this belongs acquired it for their son and is/was not aware of the problems of two antivirus programmes being used. I am trying to remove Madsafe antivirus but keep meeting up with “madesafe Setup requires that you have Internet Explorer 5 or above. Please update Internet Explorer before running the Madesafe setup” The laptop is using IE8!!!

I searched the internet and it would appear that the company that made Madesafe are no longer around and that my experience is not something new. Even CCleaner will not remove it - coming up with the same dialogue box ref IE5. All the postings that I came across are now quite old. Is there anyone out there who can suggest a solution? I know what I could do, but at this stage, as it is not my laptop I do not wish to do anything drastic. Anyone?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Try Revo Uninstaller - enter link description here

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

northumbria61. Thanks for reply but had tried Revo Uninstaller with the same result “Madesafe Setup requires that you have Internet Explorer 5 or above. Please update Internet Explorer before running the Madesafe setup".

I do not wish to spend a lot of time with this laptop as I have already superglued the cracked lid hinge, updated AVG, updated CCleaner, updated XP Home, generally tidied up the unit and checked out the problems that they had for accessing the Internet - which was the initial reason that I was asked to look at it. The person to whom this belongs has a "not bothered unduly attitude" it is just that I like to think that they get it back in its best possible condition even though it is free to them.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Try Revo Uninstaller in safemode

or

use CCleaner tools startup to disable Madesafe at startup then try and remove.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

See if it is on C Cleaner and remove it from there.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat/\0/\ Tried Revo Uninstaller is Safe MOde -- No joy same ... IE5

CCleaner sees it in programmes to uninstall but NOT in STARTUP!

Jock1e AS stated previously CCleaner does not remove it.

Summing up: CCleaner sees it in programmes to uninstall but not in StartUP Start/All Programmes sees it. Add/Remove programmes sees it. Windows Explorer sees it, not in Programmes but in its own separate Directory. The only time you are aware of it is when the laptop boots up and for a brief second or two a splash comes up "MadeSafe Antivirus Edition"

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Run regedit

create a backup

Search for all references to Madesafe in the registry and remove them

reboot ad see if the reference does not appear on startup.

delete the madesafe folder and files

run CCleaner and then registry tool in ccleaner.

Hopefully this will get rid of it.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat/\0/\

Thanks for that, but in the interim I have found out that the laptop is being given to a six year old to play with..... Nuff said.

Being returned to them tomorrow.

Thanks for all input.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

I have been trying to show this posting as resolved.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Green tick does not appear to be working since he weekend :0(

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Today's bargains phones, tablets, laptops and more for Black...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers