We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Best way to synch laptop and desktop

Pineman100

Likes # 0

My Windows 7 laptop is now four years old. I'm ready to buy a new computer and - being a photography and design enthusiast - I think I may get a desktop machine with the power to cope more easily with all of my photograph files, image editing software packages, DTP packages and so on.

I would like to keep the laptop operational for use away from the desk. But I would have to set up some kind of synch system that allows me to transfer selected data files between the two computers.

Should I simply network the machines and use the Copy function to move files from the desktop to the laptop, or is there a more sophisticated function that I can set up?

All thoughts and ideas will be very welcome - thanks!

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

I have several PC 's with their own individual data on. I use AllwaySync so that selected data on those PC's is synchronised with both their own external drives and the other PC's. All data is synchronised in two other places. This is an automated action obviating the necessity of remembering to copy and paste elsewhere.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You Can Network them, but a easier way would be to use a USB link Cable.

Click Hear

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Thanks very much for your responses.

compumac - I'm fairly hazy about the way that synching works. Do you have to have an identical folder structure on both drives so that, if you save a file on one of them it is instantly saved to the other one too?

And how selective can you be with the synching? Can you specify, for example, that all files saved to Folder A are synched to the other drive(s), but not files saved to Folder B? Or do you simply click a "synch" button for every file that you save (assuming you want it synched!).

Apologies for my ignorance!

woodchip - thanks for that idea, which sounds like good sense.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Pineman100.

Main computer'A' has several data folders i.e. Word Data, Excel Data, Access Data, etc.

An external drive 'B' for syncing to for ALL of those folders. On 'B' you create a directory "Synced Folders". Start up Allway Sync and select the folders or files from the source for syncing and set 'B' as the receiving area for those folder or files. When you are setting up the process you are able to establish the frequency of the synchronisation.

Mine folders are set up to sync within 10 minutes of any change of the selected folders or files. I have also set it to store previous versions of the files so that I am able to recover file created some time ago that has been overwritten on the the main data folder.

You can try Allway Sync FOC but are limited to its use unless you purchase the full version. I tried the free version for a week or so and then went ahead and bought the paid for version. Well worth the cost.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You should be able to get software may be free to do synching check google but take care using the word free as it can bring with it Nasties like Trojans etc

PS Avast stopped me only yesterday from infection

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Concur with compumac. I use Allway Sync (free version).

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

I initially used Allway Sync following recommendations on this forum a long time ago used the free version subsequently purchasing the Pro version curently at $19.95 on the Allway Sync site.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

OK, many thanks everyone for all that advice. Allway Sync looks like the way to go.

Thanks again.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

May I offer an alternative which is GoodSync, I have used this for several years and it really works well.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

You're never alone with a clone: How the App Store got taken over by copycats

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

Come together to learn: the secrets of the best design talks, conferences and courses