We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

cloned hard drive (XP) - what next?

penhit

Likes # 0

help, please... I have installed a new hard drive in an old computer running xp. I've cloned the old hard drive onto the new hard drive and switched the BIOS so that it boots from the new drive. My question is: do I need to switch the letters for the drives (the old drive is partitioned into C &D and the new one is F&G), and if so how do I do it?. Should I disconnect the old drive, or should I switch the wiring on them? If I remove the old drive will the sytem automatically make the remaining drive into C&D Sorry if these are stupid questions, but I am venturing into unknown territory and any help appreciated.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

If it is a full clone as per Acronis, simply change the old and new drives over, then re-start PC - it should run as normal.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

You could re-format old drive to use as additional storage, probably best in a external USB caddy.

Like this post
penhit

Likes # 0

I used seagate disk wizard, which I think is a full cloning... When you say change them over - you mean physically switch the wiring? Thanks

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Remove the original HDD which you cloned. You do not have a boot manager hence Windows will assume a different letter to the cloned HDD. Once the original drive is removed and the cloned one connected to the motherboard, to where the original one was, then you should have no problems booting up.

Like this post
penhit

Likes # 0

I'm not quite ready to reformat the old drive until 100% sure that the new one is happy!!

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

As rdave13 says, just remove old drive, and replace it with the new drive. Then restart PC.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

We don't mean switch the wiring - Switch the drives!

Like this post
penhit

Likes # 0

Thanks both - I will try that now.

Like this post
penhit

Likes # 0

I've disconnected the old drive and the new drive is now the C drive and boots up fine (faster than the old one). I'll reconnect the old drive and probably reformat it. Thanks for your help. I find PC Advisor Forum a fantastic resource.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Great, thanks for your feedback.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made