We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Latop turns off, but only once at startup

boybrown

Likes # 0

Hi folks,

My usually shuts down when starting up, but only once and then will startup. It doesn't shut down when up and running. I swapped my hard drives over from my son's laptop. Could this have caused the issue?

Any thoughts welcome

Cheers

Tom

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

Why is that when most people post about the laptop that they dont use a little common sense. They think were magicians and they presume and assume we know the make and model of the laptop your using

Like this post
boybrown

Likes # 1

Strangely reply really and to be honest a little rude? If it is relevent then feel free to tell me that this is important information. If you don't want to help then don't answer, simple as that. But don't post criticism. I have always found that this forum as being helpful, and indeed have replied to people to help them. You don't appear to be one of those individuals. In which case I have no desire to have you posting!

If anyone else wants to help and the model will be of assistance then I'm happy to provide it!

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

boybrown: The answer is almost certainly - Yes. Unless your Son's laptop is exactly the same as yours.

By the way: finerty's request is perfectly reasonable.

Without knowledge of the nature of the laptop in question, no one can give you more than rather generalised comments like the one I have made above.

Like this post
boybrown

Likes # 1

Hello wee Eddie, both are Lenovo, one is a c 200 and the other a n200. They both run on windows 7. I hadn't reinstalled the os as only mine had experienced problems although when I switched them they both obviously loaded new device drivers. Is it likely to be best to install the os again?

In terms of finertys post. I have no issue with being asked for information, I do have a problem with a post that comes across as grumpy and sarcastic. This is the beginners four and as such people are going to be make errors through ommission. If I had been a first timer I doubt I would have come back.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

The Hard Drive is the Problem, it should be in the Laptop it came with. As Windows is registered to the individual Laptop, not any laptop or desktop

Like this post
boybrown

Likes # 0

Hi wood chip, does that mean it needs a reinstall and will that sort it?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

No it will not sort it, you need to put the correct drive back in your PC

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Both laptops will have an OEM version of Windows 7, and as Woodchip states, are tied to the motherboard of each laptop. You could use the recovery discs to restore to factory settings but you would need to do that on both laptops. Not really worth it I think. Have a look in SYSTEM in Control Panel and check what it says under Windows activation. You might find that both laptops will get a black screen stating that Windows isn't genuine after 30 days.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I'm interested:

What caused you to change Hard Drives?

What have you done with the one that was in your Lappy?

As far as I can ascertain, the best solution to your problem, is to re-install the original Drive and start to work on whatever problem that started this whole thing off.

We would be happy to help

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I'm curious as to why you swapped the harddrives over in the first place as you only seem to have had the problem since you did that. Therefore put them back where they belong.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia