We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can they read my IP address?

PC840

Likes # 0

If I'm on a forum can my IP address be read, by other posters?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

In the Search box top right of screen type in "Can my IP address be seen on the Forums" and you will see the replies.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

No. Not on a forum.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

No, not by other posters. And if you have a dynamic IP address it wouldn't do them any good even if they could.

Here's some general info: http://www.techsupportalert.com/explanation-of-ip-address.htm

Read all the page, I like this bit: "there are some ISPs who issue the same IP to all customers, since this prevents them from hosting any kind of service. AOL and Hughes.net are examples - all their customers have the same IP on the web. Obviously, their IPs are different all the way into the ISP's equipment, otherwise they could not be differentiated on the network - but to the outside world, all customers are at one address."

For a joke if anyone ever asks you for yours, tell them it's 127.0.0.1 (there's no place like home ;))

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

lotvic Whaat? Dynamic or not. You do waffle sometimes.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

rdave13, you're right, I do, I have, I am, it's Friday night - nuff said... ;)

Like this post
PC840

Likes # 0

Thanks for the replies, but somebody was claiming they could and then posted some details which were near the mark, and I wondered if I had been hacked!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

This is what you get of your location with the IP address, click here. For me it got UK right but that's it.

Like this post
PC840

Likes # 0

'For me it got UK right but that's it' yep, that OK, but I was thinking somebody with a bit more Knowledge could hack their way to my computer. I mean if people can do it to the Pentagon computers a Windows7 firewall isn't going to be much of a block!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I've got a strong wireless key, router firewall, win 7 firewall, free Avast and free malwarebytes and a paid for SAS. Also got spywareblaster as a blocker. I also use Trusteer Rapport. I'm sure if MI6 needed to hack my PC I suppose they could but I'm not important enough to warrant it. Some people would say that my security is over the top but I'm happy with it.

Like this post
¿ unsure ¿

Likes # 0

PC840

A moderator could see your IP address and just feed it to a site like this

It will just give a wide location to where you are.

Nothing to worry about. Only an ISP can pinpoint your exact location unless you have a static IP address. Most ISP's have a dynamic address's.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch R video review: The most desirable Android Wear smartwatch

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming th)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad