We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Blind Copies in e-mails - Security ?

Blott
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have been asked to take on the role of communications operator for a Community Interest Company (CIC). Membership with e-mail addresses at the moment about 200, but will expand rapidly (and very soon). Problem is confidentialty when sending e-mails as we are bound to a privacy statement that, from our database, we will not divulge any personal information of members to anyone. At the moment this statement will encompass not divulging the e-mail address of any member to any other member.

My question :- As I understand Microsoft Outlook - I can send an e-mail to myself with the membership list added as "Blind Copy" recipients. However, can anyone advise me how secure this is.

Can recipients just find a way into some sort of "properties" menu and read off the e-mail addresses of the other "blind" recipients ?

Any advice would be welcome. Or is there any software that could help. I'm not speaking of Blowfish level of security, just a reasonable level of security for a Community Group e-mail.

Regards to all. Blott

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Bcc will work for what you want to do. You may have to split your address book into a series of folders as some ISP's wont accept more that 30 or 40 recipients per email - they think its spam.

Like this post  
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

By far the best way to do this is to use an Outlook mail-merge. That way, each recipient will get a personal email,and nobody sees anyone else's details.

This is how you do it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen