We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Files keep duplicating themselves

wildhouse

Likes # 0

Hi. Since I have had my computer (a year) runnning Windows 7, I find that files duplicate themselves and give themselves the same name with th addition of a (1). This doesn't happen every time but frequently. It happens with all types of files - music, photos, Word docs, etc. I continually delete them but they keep coming back. I don't have a back-up set up and it's not just files I copied from my previous computer it happens to. Any help appreciated as it drives me mad to be looking for something and seeing it there 3 or 4 times!

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

This is how you may eliminate them the Microsoft way - enter link description here Or alternatively there are several downloadable programs which will achieve what you want - enter link description here

Like this post
wildhouse

Likes # 0

Hi. I can delete the duplicate files but there are literally hundreds of them which keep appearing. I would like to know why they keep duplicating so that I can stop that happening in the first place. I don't (to my knowledge, unless it was set up in the computer by Dell) have anything set up to sync/copy but I can't stop it happening.

Like this post
bluesbrother

Likes # 0

A few posts with similar problems here

Microsoft Forums

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

It appears to be one of those irritating features of Windows 7 by adding "Libraries" to the system. It's nothing you have done wrong.

Like this post
wildhouse

Likes # 0

I was wondering if it was to do with libraries - I seem to have loads! I initially thought (a year ago) it was because I had copied My Documents etc over from my previous computer (running XP) but as it happens with new files don't think that's why. Will peruse some of the posts bluesbrother has suggested in the forum.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Ask Leo has information on Windows 7 Libraries that you may find interesting.

enter link description here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded