We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BT Homehub Problems Revisited 2012

mikeystipe

Likes # 0

I have previously tried to use various versions of BTs Homehub to extend a friend's network with varying degrees of success - see previous post.

Have tried master/slave set up with HH2 as per notes on the Jarviser site and also used latest HH3 as a master with a HH2 as a slave.

Without initially going in to all the various combinations I've tried my question is can anybody recommend a "guaranteed" for the following setup :

Using a BT Homehub3 as main hub. Use a 2nd Hub/Repeater/Range Extender,etc

Above connected via Ethernet cable or Homeplugs on same ring main

Wireless Devices to be able to connect to the above consistently.

Thanks Mike

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Have you tried Homeplugs? One connects to router and main PC, then another connects to any Mains socket and is then connected to another PC via Ethernet cable from the homeplug to PC.

You should include a link here to your other thread.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

You can use as many homeplugs as you wish for several PCs, as long as they are all on the same ring-mains.

Like this post
mikeystipe

Likes # 0

Nontek

Link to original problem setup here :

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/18/networking-help/4039063/homehub-network-problems/

I have already tried with Homeplugs and this seems to work fine when I have a connection which is not often! I am assuming that the Older Hubs in combination with the HH3 are the issue (barring some sort of electrical interference or similar)

Therefore trying to connect a Homehub3 via CAT5 to some other router/extender/whatever seems to be the simplest solution.

I'm hoping somebody has similar issues and has managed to resolve.

I've posted on this and the BT forums and had a look on the web but not come up with a working solution yet.

Mike

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I wouldn't be happy to use WEP security to start with. Why not use the HH3 only and use homeplugs as an answer?

Like this post
mikeystipe

Likes # 0

Dave,

I agree with your comments regarding WEP and would prefer to use WPA/WPA2. Assuming I use either Homeplugs or a dedicated wired connection from HH3 to 2nd Hub/Router can you suggest a suitable device?

Thanks Mike

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Why use a second Hub/router? The idea of homeplugs is that it is secure and convenient to use around the house. So long as you use the same ring main then it should work OK. If you use homeplugs then your wirless key can be WPA2 which is the best encryption to date.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad