We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Trying to get web cam to work.

bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi, found an old webcam that I am trying to fix up, probably about 3 or 4 yrs old. No make on it but it used to work OK. XP Home sees it but asks for a driver, it is USB device. Shows with the yellow question mark in Device Manager but under Driver Details it says "No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device" it does not show in Scanners & Cameras either. Any ideas please.

Ray

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Have you fully Installed Skype?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I am off to bed now, I will check to see if you have made any progress tomorrow.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Me too I was just about to say the same. Maybe not downloaded it properly but I did go through the Spanish Inquisition they required. Is that you in the photo? At present I cannot see the option screen that you have shown me in the link.

Ray

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Yes, that is I in the photo .... :-(

Try uninstalling Skype, then download it again from here enter link description here

re-install and try again, it is a great little program. Ignore the mentions of purchasing any part of it, they are for the more advanced user.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi again Nontek, I now have Skype set up and running, it looks interesting but I have only just started looking at it, not sure what it does or whether it is free, I need to do a bit of research. Regarding the webcam, plugged it into my Win 7 PC which said that it DID require a driver and then took me straight to the website which was quite impressive (not the site, the fact something worked for once) Copied the driver to a CD and was able to get the camera working on daughters machine plus she has Skype to play with. Many thanks for you help and advice.

Ray

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Great, don't worry, Skype is Free, I use it to speak to a friend up-North every day (I am down South).

I also video chat to an old friend in India, to relatives in USA and friends in Australia - all for Free!

If your daughters' friends also have Skype, she will have hours of fun with it.

Anyway, Well done ............. Cheers.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......