We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Trying to get web cam to work.

bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi, found an old webcam that I am trying to fix up, probably about 3 or 4 yrs old. No make on it but it used to work OK. XP Home sees it but asks for a driver, it is USB device. Shows with the yellow question mark in Device Manager but under Driver Details it says "No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device" it does not show in Scanners & Cameras either. Any ideas please.

Ray

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Have you tried running Skype, and then looking in Tools>Options>Video settings??

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks for the suggestion but I have no idea how to do that. I have limited knowledge of Skype, I believe it to be a means of connecting webcams over the net but not something I have ever tried. When I said the camera worked in the past it did but I was only using it as a video device for my own PC ie record to disk or files, never actually used it as an online camera. If you think Skype would help is this something I can download?

Ray

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Yes, you can download Skype, just google for it, it is Free! Once installed, just follow my instructions as above. You will then be able to see your self on the screen if the webcam still works.

If any of your friends also have Skype you can video chat to each other for free.

You will need a microphone to talk on Skype, or you can simply type messages to each other within Skype.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks again Nontek,I will give that a try. It has sound lead so I assume it has a mike. Not for me anyway, for my daughter no one wants to see my ugly mug including myself. If I does not work I will just buy another they are cheap enough I just hate wasting things.

Ray

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Let me know how you get on.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

OK I give up, have downloaded Skype but cant find a "Video settings" option anywhere.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

In Skype go to Tools>Options and you will see Video settings .... when in Video Settings you should see your camera listed, if it does not appear click on the small black down-arrow alongside camera name space to see it.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Please ignore the ugly mug :-)

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

I go to profile completeness and it stops at 50%.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia replaces budget Lumia 520 with 530: Release date, price and specs

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer