We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

choice of internet security packages

pookie

Likes # 0

Hi,

I have just posted this question but it has disappeared from the forum so here goes again.

Windows 7 Home. I have been using free Avast, free Malwarebytes and Windows 7 firewall. I have moved broadband to BT and they give free full version Mcafee internet security. However, a friend has just bought AVG internet security 2013 with several licenses and he has offered one to me.

So, on basis that the full versions, normally say £30 each, should be better than the free I was using would you go for the Mcafee or the AVG? Or are they much of a muchness? I have read reviews and both get similar scores but some users have said Mcafee can be a bit user unfriendly.

Thank you

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Personally, I'd stick to Avast. I've had problems with AVG (there is another thread about this), and have had problems with McAfee slowing things down. However, you will get others who swear by them!

Like this post
pookie

Likes # 0

Thank you. And Windows 7's own firewall?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

What you have is good enough W7 firewall, avast, malwarebytes.

If your getting Mcafee for free then its worth it but remember it only lasts a year and then you will need to pay or uninstall (not always easy)

Same applies to AVG (I think this has now got over bloated I'm running a pay for version on my laptop (free for a year) but not impressed so definitely wouldn't pay for it when year ends.

Like this post
pookie

Likes # 0

thanks - I think I'll stick to the free versions as I never had any issues with them. I have installed the AVG package and the pc does seem a tad slower in general use so I'll unistall it

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days