We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Socket error # 10054 connection reset by peer, further to other questions

Bargee

Likes # 0

Hiya,

I've just started getting this error message & on reading other answers to it on this helproom, nothing advised in those threads seems to work for me.

The annoying aspect for me is that on boot this morning, everything worked OK, but later on in the day, it reverted back to the error. I've tried deleting & re-entering the email accounts affected, I've tried reverting the HD to before the problem started using the XP tool & nothing.

The only thing I can think of is that there is a problem with my email server as the affected email addresses use the same Free Parking server, whilst my business email is unaffected.

Any ideas?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

This is what Microsoft says about it.

WSAECONNRESET 10054

Connection reset by peer.

An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. This normally results if the peer application on the remote host is suddenly stopped, the host is rebooted, the host or remote network interface is disabled, or the remote host uses a hard close (see setsockopt for more information on the SO_LINGER option on the remote socket). This error may also result if a connection was broken due to keep-alive activity detecting a failure while one or more operations are in progress. Operations that were in progress fail with WSAENETRESET. Subsequent operations fail with WSAECONNRESET.
Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

WSAECONNRESET 10054

Connection reset by peer.

An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. This normally results if the peer application on the remote host is suddenly stopped, the host is rebooted, the host or remote network interface is disabled, or the remote host uses a hard close (see setsockopt for more information on the SO_LINGER option on the remote socket). This error may also result if a connection was broken due to keep-alive activity detecting a failure while one or more operations are in progress. Operations that were in progress fail with WSAENETRESET. Subsequent operations fail with WSAECONNRESET.
Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Nope sorry it is not going to post.

Just scroll down to 10054.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms740668%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Like this post
Bargee

Likes # 0

Shame you weren't able to post properly Jock1e, the link though useful, doesn't really help me to overcome the problem. Probably because I can't quite understand it! LOL.

Is it saying that my thought that its the Free Parking server that is the one causing it, the actual problem?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

If you can access the business emails ok then the indication is that the Free Parking server is not responding hence the error message. See Trouble shooting socket errors

Like this post
Bargee

Likes # 0

Everything's back to normal. Can only assume that as Woolwell says, the Free Parking server must have been the problem. I contacted their support team via their web site & have had no response as yet. Let you know if they divulge the actual problem.

Cheers for the responses.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV setup advice: Apple TV hacks to help you create the ultimate Apple TV hub in your home