We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What is it with the PCA site?

TonyV
Resolved

Likes # 1

The site seems to load in a very strange way and it always now spits and starts and jumps all over the place.

I have a iMAC with Mountain Lion and Safari 6.0.1. No matter what I do, it never seems smooth in its operation.

It works, but I get giddly trying to see where the pages are going to with their jumping up and down. Is it because of the various adverts or is there something more fundamental to the/my problem?

Cheers

TonyV

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Woolwell

Many thanks, I'll give Chrome a try on my iPad.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I see now the check panel which shows what has been written before posting has gone AWOL"

No it hasn't, it appears once you start typing.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"N47's recommendation works."

Not for me, I'm afraid, but I've never seen this red bar either.

Site still loads like treacle, albeit warm treacle, anything from 15 to 30 secs for any pages not cached.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Too many browsers on the market, some of them not completely compatible with website 'standards'. A web developers life is not a happy one!

My own website looks different in various browsers - only minor differences but noticeable to me, and the backend takes a 20 seconds to load the years sales list on Chrome or Firefox but up to 5 minutes on IE9.

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

No it doesn't! It is not there in my MAC Firefox. The grey area is there to receive the text, but nothing appears in it! Checking on Safari, it is there, though. I only use Firefox occasionally, but think I will stick with Safari.

TonyV

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

If you don't want to overkill by disabling Javascript on your Safari browser then do as follows:

In Safari=> click Safari on the top menu bar=>Preference=>click Advance=>check Show Develop menu in menu bar=>click Develop in top menu bar=>User Agent=>check Safari IOS 5.1- iPhone

You'll see this site changing into mobile version & a lot user friendly as well as retaining Javascript function.(at least I've my favourite blue hyperlink text back) :)

Surfing other sites in this mode which don't have a mobile site won't make any difference while others with a mobile version such as this site then just click the full or desktop site(usually at the bottom) if you need to. BTW Safari will revert to normal once you close it unless you choose phone mode in Develop/User Agent again.

Alternative way is downloading Chrome for Mac, in Chrome =>click Chrome in top menu bar=>Preference=>Show Advance Settings at the bottom=>Content Settings in Privacy=>Manage Exceptions under Javascript=> type
[* .]Name of the site you don't to run Javascript on, check Block under Behavior, so if you want to disable Javascript on PCAdvisor then in Javascript exception box type [* .]pcadvisor.co.uk & choose Block under Behavior =>OK.

In this way all other sites will run as normal while PCAdvisor does so without jumping & flashing adverts but you'll lose the hyperlink functions.

Mac Firefox runs perfectly alright on my Mountain Lion with the preview panel so don't know why you have those problems.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Can't seem to be able to post more than once to a thread today a glitch I've not seen before :0(

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

been trying to post an answer to

p.r.b wireless adaptor for PC to PSP post

can't even get a new thread to start to answer his question.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I've just posted to it but the OP has replied before strawballs when I looked previously that post was not there. Something odd going on but regrettably that is not unusual.

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

retep888™

I did what you said and changed Safari to the mobile version. Sure enough it came up with a much more basic view. But I have to say that the problem with the Firefox along with Mountain Lion is not good. It will work if Java is not checked, but I cannot be bothered with doing that every time. Maybe I should try the Chrome Browser and see how that behaves. My only worry there is I get the impression that one has to be very careful during the installation of Google Chrome or Google will all but take over!

Incidentally, I tried to post this missive in the mobile site and it said an error had occurred and I should refresh. This I did and lost the text. I have actually sent it via the Safari non-mobile version. Stone me, it is becoming more and more difficult to use the site these days! Such a shame.

Cheers

TonyV

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 will be a free update

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy an iPhone 6 (or any smartphone) on contract: Get the latest tech and save...

IDG UK Sites

Corel Painter 2015 review

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK