We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What is it with the PCA site?

TonyV
Resolved

Likes # 1

The site seems to load in a very strange way and it always now spits and starts and jumps all over the place.

I have a iMAC with Mountain Lion and Safari 6.0.1. No matter what I do, it never seems smooth in its operation.

It works, but I get giddly trying to see where the pages are going to with their jumping up and down. Is it because of the various adverts or is there something more fundamental to the/my problem?

Cheers

TonyV

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

They are 'In Text Advertising', an advert will attach itself to a certain anchor keyword. You can google for more info.

You can install an Adblocker and subscribe to a List (pre-written list of sites and scripts to block) that will stop them showing (You can add your own entries as well)

I have FireFox browser and 'Adblock Plus' subscribed to Fanboys List.

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

lotvic

Thanks for that, but I use almost exclusively Safari on the MAC and Adblock Plus is not available yet. I do have Firefox on, but rarely use it. Safari seems to be quick enough on most sites so do not see the point of moving permanently across to Firefox. It is on the MAC as a standby really, just in case.....

Cheers

TonyV

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

The site now seems to be slow on a permanent basis, no matter what time of day it is.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

The site is flying for me, at the moment.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Wizzing along on dial-up, BUT I've lost the BOLD/ITALICS strip above 'reply to this topic' and the output text box below, to see what my post will look like. [again]

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

And another thing: You look at thread heading and click on the last response link. If that last response (post) is at the bottom of the last page then all you get is the initial post and have to back out, and re-enter the thread the long way. This has been happening since the site was changed.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

the site did speed up like a normal web site but is slipping backwards again each visit gets slower.

when it was temp faster the toolbar with the social network icons did not appear at the bottom of the screen, the toolbar is back and so is the treacle.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Recently, I was a-complainin' that I couldn't see the ' output box '...you know, the part of the screen below this ' input box '.

Well, I've just noticed that it's now a ' dynamic ' 'slightly blue-tinted' space that 'takes' whatever you type in ... well done, PCA.

[Once you start typing in your next ' reply to this post ', you'll see what [the heck] I'm talking about.]

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If you Download and install HOSTS file it stops most things that you do not want on your PC

Click Hear for HOSTS FILE

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

That floating red bar near the top has just reappeared in the last hour ... and my attempts to use the RHS scroll-bar end up with staccato jerky unresponsive scrolling of the web-page ... which is a pain.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch release date, price and specs: Hands-on and pictures

IDG UK Sites

How to improve iPhone battery life, what to do if your iPhone battery is running low

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

Fun film festival trailer plays with classic movie scenes