We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What is it with the PCA site?

TonyV
Resolved

Likes # 1

The site seems to load in a very strange way and it always now spits and starts and jumps all over the place.

I have a iMAC with Mountain Lion and Safari 6.0.1. No matter what I do, it never seems smooth in its operation.

It works, but I get giddly trying to see where the pages are going to with their jumping up and down. Is it because of the various adverts or is there something more fundamental to the/my problem?

Cheers

TonyV

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Why have the ad links and posters links the same colour? Perhaps the reason is a not so subtle hope that people will click on ad link by mistake as opposed to the hyper-links included in posts.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Try this if you want to improve the 'refresh times'.

Near the bottom right of the screen (underneath the new kid on the block) is a narrow oblong box with a little world symbol and some text.If 'Unknown Zone(Mixed')appears there,double click on it and change the level to HIGH and apply.

I'm using XP and IE8.

It speeds up PCA a fair bit!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I find that clicking on a users name doesn't do anything any more.

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

I have used Adblock Plus for years and don't get any trouble with the PCA site, i have popup blocker on as well using Firefox 16Beta Windows7.

PCA site can take a few seconds longer to load than others but nothing excessive, I put it down to the large volume of traffic, there seem to be many many times more people viewing than contributing to the site.

As for moving bars, I don't see them anymore since the price of drink went up so much!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Woolwell , yesterday, early evening I could get the link on a users name to work in compatibility view in IE9. Doesn't work today but the links bar for social sites only works in compatibility mode for me.

I did find the pop-up bar, at the top, when scrolling, useful, though a better colour would have been good, but that's gone.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Chronus There's an old saying that if you have a devious mind yourself you'll see deviousness everywhere.

There's no sinister purpose behind changing the hyperlink colour. I sometimes had difficulty in seeing the previous colour; I felt it didn't stand out sufficiently, so I initiated a change. It's as simple (and innocent) as that.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I like the change of colour.

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

Not quite sure what you mean. The links in red in submissions are nothing at all to do with what we are posting as normal text as in a conversation. It seems to me that if you hover over a red word above, an ad comes from Powerlink. In my post way back when, it was Powerlinks that came up as it does in your colour link above. They appear to be selling Microsoft products.

The question I suppose is," What governs the change to a link in an ordinary conversation?"

As I said earlier, we are going to have to be careful what words we use!

Cheers

TonyV

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

Very odd. I suddenly got a fourth page when I sent that last missive. Prior to that I was on page 3!

To add to my previous comment, the word Microsoft has come up as red and contains the advert. Certainly not of my making.

TonyV

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

I have tried to post today but have found that the site does not refresh OR it is frozen at one stage. Every time I have accessed the site during this afternoon the first thread remains the first thread without any changes whatsoever. I tried to post during the afternoon and up until 7:15 but it did not accept my posting and the order of threads did not alter..

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's new OS X Beta Seed Program: Run pre-release versions of OS X on your Mac

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer