We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to increase wireless signal strength?

Border View

Likes # 0

My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) On a desktop computer with a wireless card inbuilt. My ISP is o2. I have o2's wireless router called Technicolour. My router is situated about 10 feet away from the desktop, yet my signal strength is only fair. Two bars, sometimes three, out of a possible five.

How do I increase the signal strength? My router syncs at about 2.9 Mbps and my download speed shows 2.4 Mbps. It has been known to drop to 0.3 Mbps and 1.5 Mbps.

Your help would be appreciated.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Most Aerials are pretty puny. I have often wondered if the was any way of extending them, much in the same way as one extends a Radio Aerial?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

wee eddie, http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Wireless-Antenna for network card to enhance wireless reception. I wonder if a wire coathanger would work, they did for car radio aerials.

Like this post
anniesboy

Likes # 0

Why not try some Homeplugs

like these http://preview.tinyurl.com/9y2bapb

(many others available)

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

annies boy. As it's only 10ft, I think homeplugs are an overkill. I'd go down the route of a usb dongle. If the tower is still screening the signal, an extension lead would allow the dongle to be positioned in a more convenient place.

I've found these tiny Edimax give very good reception.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The length of an aerial is in proportion to the frequency being used so increasing the length is unlikely to improve reception but the design/shape might. Putting the aerial in a better position eg via a dongle may well improve reception.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

So, a dongle, on the end of a USB lead, might be a good idea?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It of course depends on the quality of the dongle - but basically yes it might be a good idea.

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

Thanks for your comments fellas. Think I shall go down the USB dongle route. Bit annoyed because I gave a good one away last year.

Sorry if this sounds a brainless question but when I get the dongle - how do I disable the onboard wireless card?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Go into Device Manager and Disable it, right click My computer/Properties/ Hardware/Device Manager button. Then Right Click on Wireless/ Properties and Disable You may need first to double click Network Adapters to see it

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

Right, feeling my way around without actually doing anything until I get the dongle.

Got to Network adapters and opened it. There are three listed:

Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter

Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport Adapter

Reltek PCIe GBE Family Controller

When I come to disable - which one? Wonder why I have three?

Would welcome your comments please.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

Artist creates a geometric rave in a chapel for The House of St Barnabus

IDG UK Sites

Mac mini (Late 2014) 1.4 GHz review: Mac mini is sort of upgradable, but is it any good as it is?