We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Android Tablet - is Anti Virus protection advised- and which?

SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Do Android powered tablets require Anti Virus protection?

If so what is recommended and how to go about installing the same.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Have a look for Avast Mobile Security which is what I use.It scans app and incoming messages. Unfortunately quite a few Android apps were found to contain viruses so I thought it might be advisable to get some sort of cover.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

I've just installed AVG on my Samsung Tablet. Found it for free on the Apps Store

Like this post
Matt Egan

Likes # 0

For what it's worth I'd say that Android AV is pretty much useless, but you absolutely should have security software. Just make sure it has good anti-theft, data recovery and tracking components. The trouble with Android AV is that the threat is less likely to come from a drive-by install, and more likely to come from your installing a legit or semi-legit app. Or, indeed, your device being lost or stolen. So you need to be able to track and brick a lost device, and recover data from it.

I wrote a thing about this just the other day: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/security/3400697/how-manage-threat-your-smartphone/

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Thank you Mat Have read the pice and taken in. Currently I have another more pressing issue- The tabvlet has killed it self and system restore - won't- In tough with vendor - but I think they are 'Boxshifters' and don't know much. so am trawling all the Android forums.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G2 release date, price and specs: Best budget smartphone gets upgrades

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer