We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Will my software run under 64-bit Windows?

Pineman100
Resolved

Likes # 0

I'm considering buying a new computer in the next couple of months. I currently run Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit.

I'm thinking about opting for Windows 7 or Windows 8 64-bit on my new machine, but I don't know what the ramifications of this would be in terms of running my existing software.

My principal packages are:-

• MS Office Home & Student 2007
  • Serif Drawplus X4
  • Serif Pageplus X4
  • Serif Webplus X5
  • Norton Internet Security 2012
  • Ashampoo Burning Studio 10

I realise that nobody is likely to be able to give me specific answers about all those packages, but please could you let me know generally whether 32-bit software will run satisfactorily on a 64-bit machine?

Also, I presume that my thousands of data files will all open OK?

Many thanks for any and all advice on this topic.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Hi Dad!

The majority of 32bit software runs ok on 64bit Windows 7 it just puts it in a separate folder in Program Files and runs it as 32bit.

Like this post  
Pine Man

Likes # 0

...and I should have added that anything that runs in Windows7 should run in Windows8.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

As Pine Man says,

All of your software will run smoothly in a 64bit environment. Your computer's 64bit CPU is designed to handle both 32bit and 64bit programs, as is the 64bit version of Windows 7.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Many thanks to you both. Just what I hoped to hear!

Son - have you tidied your room yet? Your mother was asking...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014