We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

internet explorer 9 uninstalled to enable to browse a new website

cordeiro

Likes # 0

I have a dell vostro 460 desktop with windows7 professional. I believe that when it is delivered pre-installed it automatically has internet explorer 9. The website I visited is www.dharnaksh.com.in This opens with and displays a window 'visit site', on clicking the site a new page opens and gives the option 'register' and a new window opens which is partly visible. This makes it impossible to complete the registration ! I managed to get thru to the technical maestro by phone who said the webpage is not viewable on IE9. I uninstalled IE9 and the problem was solved. Now when I click the icon Internet Explorer, it opens and says 'Google' how is it that my new browser is now 'google', should I remain with it or try installing IE8 ? JR Cordeiro

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

It works for me using Internet Explorer 9 in compatibility mode.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Did you reinstall Internet Explorer again.

To get that as your home page you would need to go to internet options.general.Remove what is in the box and either type or copy and paste the address that you want for a home page.Then click apply at the bottom.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Can confirm that it does work using compatibility mode in I/9.

Tools.Tick compatibility mode and like rdave13 says it should work Ok.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

This is how it looks in compatibility mode (icon on right of address bar is blue) click here.

Like this post
cordeiro

Likes # 0

attn. rdave, how do you get to compatabilty mode, I do not have IE9 installed. R. Cordeiro

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

It's the same in IE 8. You can follow Jock1e's advice going through 'tools' or click on the icon (looks like a torn piece of paper) on the right of the address bar.

Like this post
cordeiro

Likes # 0

rdave. Thank you for your reply. as of now I do not have IE9 installed, should I re-install it ? and then how do I use COMPATIBILITY MODE ? JR Cordeiro

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

The compatibility icon, on the right of the address bar, just needs clicking once. The page will then go into compatibility view. If you use Internet Explorer then it would be wise to install the latest version IE9. You can just about see it in my previous link, top right. The icon changes to blue once clicked on and the page goes to compatibility view.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

A bit of confusion here I think. Yes you'll need to re-install IE9 so you can get the compatibility view running on a web page. There was no need to uninstall it in the first place as you can run any amount of browsers on your PC. Looking at your other thread it seems as you already have Google Chrome but you can also have Fire Fox, Opera, Safari and others.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Please don't start any more new threads on the same topic - it's extremely confusing for people who are trying to help you.

I've deleted all of your new threads - please make any new posts in this one.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad