We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

dead laptop battery slow start-up

ripendigging

Likes # 0

I have just cleaned up my Dell Latitude 610,using De-fraggler and CC cleaner,but start-up is very slow, about 3 minutes to welcome screen on xp-proffessional .Once on line it is quite good,I know the battery is completely dead will this be the cause of the slow start-up.Thank you.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Does it start quicker without the battery.

Check in device manager to see if any yellow exclamation marks.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Have you tried msconfig, Start up, to see if there is any start up programs not needed.If any not needed at start up untick them press apply and then reboot.

What security programs have you got.Anti-Virus + Anti-malware.Have you changed any of your security programs lately if so which.

Have you plenty Disk space left and enough memory.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I know the battery is completely dead will this be the cause of the slow start-up.

Unlikely

Probably too many start up programs or services I can get XP pro to the desktop of an old IBM P4 in 29 secs with minimal services and only protction progs running at start.

As you already have CCleaner look in the Tools - startup, here you can disable startup programs and probably find what is causing the slow start.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

How to watch Samsung Galaxy Note 4 launch live: Unpacked 2014 Episode 2 at IFA

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

What to expect from Apple in autumn/winter 2014: iPhone 6, iPhone Air, iWatch, iPad 6, new Apple...