We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Firewalls

PC840

Likes # 0

How good is Wndows7 firewall? I may have been hacked and can I find out if I have?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I have used windows firewall since moving to Windows 7, it seems from reviews pretty reliable but I must admit I am not a security fanatic. I use Windows firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials and that is about it. Oh and I notice I have Malwarebytes but rarely use it.

The question is why do you think you have been 'hacked'?

Like this post
PC840

Likes # 0

'The question is why do you think you have been 'hacked'?' because on a forum and the other person seems to be coming up with personal details, that he could have only got off my hard drive. So unless it was an incredible guess then I may have been hacked, some how!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Try using Shields Up here to test your fiewall

However any firewall is only as good as you let it be Trojans etc. can be downloaded unwittingly with other data. so I suggest you use a good antivirus and antimalware program such as Malwarebytes to scan your machine.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Your computer is being 'hacked' all the time, but not in the way you might image, or perhaps need to get over worried about.

Do you use or have any 'antiware' programs on your computer?.

There is apparently a possible 'hacking' problem with Java on Windows, OSX and Linux browsers, and you can see if Java is okay (if its on your computer browser) by trying http://www.snipca.com/7106 Not sure if Shields Up will do the same check!.

Like this post
PC840

Likes # 0

Thanks for replies! And everything seems to be checking out OK!

'Do you use or have any 'antiware' programs on your computer?'I'm using Avast Free, is that good enough?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Avast free is good enough, I have used it for years with daily updates and without fault, in fact I have just renewed for the next twelve months.

Would perhaps suggest that you download and use SuperAntiSpyware, run a check, then let it work continue working in the background on your computer. You can get it from http://www.majorgeeks.com

You will also find most of the other suggestions or others from that same website.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks