We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Free Movie Maker Program

Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Does anyone know of one that I can use my own RSD photos as trasitions. Can't find a way to do it in Windows one

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Not sure what you are meaning by 'using your own photos as Transitions'? Transitions determine how your pictures (or vid clips) change from one to another. Options such as twirl, wipe, and dissolve etc you just insert the effect you want inbetweeen each photo/vid clip. In Windows Movie Maker you Drag & drop it on to timeline or storyboard view. You can use both video transitions and video effects for your photos, there are different 'boxes' to drag them to in storyboard view.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

What I want is my own photos to fade in and out of the original video like a transiton.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

'the original video' do you mean you have a continuous video clip and want to insert your photos (with whatever effects you choose)?

For example: say you have one vid that is 10 mins long and you want to insert a fade in and fade out of your own photo at 3 minutes into it. Is that what you mean?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If it is then you have to split the video into segments at the frame you want. On my XP movie maker it is one of the option buttons under the preview window. There are also frame buttons (next, back) so you can choose where to split it.

In the timeline/storyboard it goes like this: Part1 vid | Fade | Photo | Fade | Part2 vid | Fade | Part3 vid.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Edit, (I missed photo at end)

Part1 vid | Fade | Photo | Fade | Part2 vid | Fade | Photo | Fade | Part3 vid

You can alter the Pic & Fade time through Tools - Options - Advanced tab. I found best to do that first, or you may have trouble altering existing storyboard and have to delete short one and replace with new. (It might just be me that can't do that bit right ;))

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

It's not a problem splitting it, done that lots of times but what I need to do is have the video fade out and one of my photos come up and then fade back to the original video without altering the timeline so the music keeps running consistantly

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

If you're adding the music separately then do as lotvic suggests and then add the music track.

If the music is part of the existing video then you would need to cut the video before and after the photo(added in a 2nd video track)and reduce the opacity of the video until you can see the photo clearly. Alternatively, separate the video and audio between the cuts and then delete the video and insert the photo to fit the gap, inserting the fades as appropriate.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

so if I understand correctly about the length of music and not altering the timeline (duration of vid) - maybe you could cut out and replace some of the frames in the video with: Fade| photo | Fade

or you don't want to lose any of the video frames you will have to make finished vid longer and alter the music to suit.

Guess you first need to separate the music from the video so that you end up with 2 files, one silent vid and one music track. Then make your 'new' silent vid and then add the music track.

VLC can extract the audio but the original vid still has the audio. I'm not sure about extracting the Video to make it silent. Hopefully someone will post with how to do that. It's not one of my strong points (I don't know how to do that ;))

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

sorry marvin42 didn't see your post, (I should have refreshed page before I posted :)) that sounds interesting I'd like to do that for one of my homemade vids, unfortunately not today now, as have to go out for a few hours.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Couldn't resist a google before I go out:

'how to separate video from audio in windows movie maker'

seems there are various options/ways to achieve it in MovieMaker.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...