We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

WiFi and who's connecting to it

Qquackers

Likes # 0

Hello. I'd be very grateful for some help please.

I have a Netgear WiFi router which was set up on my desktop PC which I'm not currently using. I am using a laptop and my brother is using his PC. I've just installed the trial version of "Who is on my WiFi" because I'm having a few niggles. e.g. my laptop won't connect eventhough I'm almost sitting on top of the WiFi box (not a problem I have elsewhere with the laptop so I'm assuming it's ok). Speed when connected has also deteriorated recently. Also today there was a message on my laptop about another computer using the same I.P. address - which I've never seen before.

A scan using "Who is on my WiFi" is showing three connections. I can identify my laptop and my brother's PC but I don't know what the third one is.

Would this be the Netgear box itself or do I have someone else using my service.

If the answer is that I do have someone else using my service how do I stop them?

Many thanks

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Change your routers password - I presume you have it password protected? That will stop anyone else connecting to it.

Like this post
johnkerber

Likes # 0

The other device you are seeing is probably the Netgear Router.

Who's On My Wifi detects all hardware devices on the network including wireless routers.

You could always let the Who's On My Wifi software run for a few days and see if anything else appears.

If not, it's likely that you don't have an intruder.

As wiz-king mentioned, if you change the router password, this should also keep out any current intruders.

Like this post
Qquackers

Likes # 0

Many thanks for yout responses. I very much appreciate the advice and will do what you suggest.

Like this post
Babou

Likes # 0

I get that "same IP" message too, and googled around, and found it can be something that can happen when your laptop has been in hibernation while on wifi and then later wakes up. For a brief minute the router thinks you're two separate computers.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Complete guide to iPhone and iPad settings: Get to know iOS 8 Settings UPDATED