We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What affects wireless signal strength

Clapton is God
Resolved

Likes # 0

Just seeking a brief explanation to help my understanding, not help.

Why does the signal strength from my wireless router vary throughout the day from fair to good to excellent (or at least that's what it tells me).

I only have one PC accessing the router and no other (known) factors affecting it although there are several other wireless routers (my neighbours) in range.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Another router on a similar channel. Use netstumbler to check. Wireless phones have been known to cause problems too, I believe.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Various factors affect wireless network signal strength.

They broadly fall into two groups - intrinsic and extrinsic.

Intrinsic factors relate to the transmission itself, and the distance it covers before you receive it. The gain on the router's antenna is another factor.

Extrinsic factors relate to the environment in which the router operates - intervening walls, for instance. Then there's interference from other devices, such as wireless phones, or microwave ovens. The position of the router can have a considerable effect, and you should try to place it as high as possible in the room where it is sited. If there's another nearby router operating on the same channel that can have an effect as well.

Like this post  
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Ah - in truth it doesn't.

The signal shown on most systems bares little relationship to the actual strength of the signal but is showing the usability of the channel.

You need a signal strength meter to measure the real strength.

The usability will drop/increase with co-channel interference, weather, and the use of other things that transmit on or around the channel. A strong signal from a DECT phone or a cellphone may reduce the apparent strength.

Changing the channel may give you a more stable reading as most routers are set to the same channel number when supplied.

Like this post
Clapton is God

Likes # 0

Thanks for all your info - I think I'm suitably learned on the topic now. ;-))

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

A word on the subject of channels.

If you and a neighbour are using adjacent channels you may both experience what's called channel overlap - interference caused by the 'overspill' that can occur.

The idea is that routers which are in close proximity should be set to operate on widely-separated channels. Your neighbour might be on channel 1 for instance, so your router may be better on channel 6 or 11.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

As FE says it's also called Cross talk. this happens with all wireless signals radio or other. But if you are talking about the Wireless Icon Near the Clock it does not mean a lot other than if it starts telling you that you are getting a Low signal. That means that the Modem may have different Orientation in other words Not in the same place as you last used it or checked it. or its being blocked by a wall etc

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...