We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

My advert on Internet and response

compumac

Likes # 0

I have advertised a couple of items on the internet and the following is an e-mail I received from a potential buyer.

Comment????

"Glad to know its still available. I will buy both. Please remove the ad or put it as sold. I will pay by Cashier cheque. I will take care of the shipping and its cost, I bought some other goods that I will be shipping with it. I already have a shipping agent that will collect it from you. The collection will be done after you have cashed the cheque. The amount I will be sending you will include extra money for the shipper that will pick up from you. send me your details as below; Name, Address, city, code, Phone number, Agreed Price,

Get back to me with your details and I will immediately send payment.

Thanks"

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

I know it is a con, but cannot remember as to how it works.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I cannot remember fully but it has something to do with the cheque.

Here you go. Cheque scam.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

I knew it was a con immediately as there was no specific interest in the items expressed and the buyer(???) gave too much detail(?). I was aware of the manner of the e-mail, but simply could not remember as to how it worked. Needless to say I have ignored it.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

compumac

My niece nearly fell for that con when selling her car on Auto Trader.

Luckily her mother mentioned it to me and I was able to advise her that indeed it was a scam.

Auto trader did give a warning about such scams on their site and gave an e-mail address to contact the police about it you thought that you were being scammed.That was about 3 years ago and she is still waiting for a reply.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"The amount I will be sending you will include extra money"

That's the clue "they will inform you that they will send a check for way more than the asking price and then they want you to cash it and send them the rest. when this happens you get held responsible for the bad check and they have your stuff"

scroll down to post by Anonymous on Sun, 2009/04/19 - 23:16

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Had one of these scams a couple of months ago, he wanted to buy a book I had published several years ago, which normally sells about a dozen copies a year, he wanted 400 copies. His international shipping agent had a @hotmail address - I dont know many firms with @hotmail addresses.

I kept my books.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback