We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Which is the most accurate Braodband speedtest site

Kevscar1

Likes # 0

because they seem to differ wildly so I ran an experiment starting four going as soon after each other as I could the dong it in the reverse order. None of the results match another.

http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/ 44.14 43.43

http://www.speedtest.net/ 31.41 27.94

http://www.uswitch.com/broadband/speedtest/?utmmedium=cpc&utmsource=bing&utmcampaign=Bing+BB+%28Search+Network%29&utmcontent=Broadband+speedtest+%28all%29#speedtestID=22923394&products=postcode%3DMK6%2B4HH%26advanced%3D1 15 48.7

http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/ 8.34 14 .92

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Difficult to tell what your speed is - It can vary by the minute. Different speed test sites use geographically different servers and paths, I prefer speedtest.net as I can choose the server (I prefer to use one several hundred miles away) most of the others you have no idea of the path length. You can only do comparative tests and if you are going to complain to your ISP you will need to use the one they recommend.

Speed testing results can be skewed by using a wireless connection or a home-plug network, even a change of router.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

I prefer to use one several hundred miles away)

but if thats not the one you are normally connected through then you are getting a false figure.

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

It varies wildly, i asked exactly the same question in the Helproom a month or so ago. There wasn't a conclusive answer other than people stating their preferred site.

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

I think the best advice i found was on the Virgin site, where it recommends selecting 3 or 4 hefty downloads from a reliable source (Reliable in terms of speed consistency) downloading them simultaneously, and simply timing the downloads. That would be, i think, as accurate as possible, and could then be used as a benchmark for speed test sites.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Your internet always goes to your ISPs nearest node - mine is about 10 miles away - and then is sent on to its destination and may go through many other nodes all can introduce time delays so every website you call will have a different speed.

There is no such thing as a definitive speed, but by choosing a constant destination you are tending to remove one variable. By using several varied sites you just confuse the issue as they will be using different servers - one may be in London and another in Edinburgh.

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

wiz-king I understand what your saying, but all that achieves is consistency of results, not accuracy. I'll dig out a link to my thread in the Helproom, which showed a huge difference in speed between sites. I could quite easily pick one of those and get a consistent result, but it differed hugely from the equally consistent result from a different site. I suppose maybe i was asking the wrong question. You rightly point out that speed may vary dependent on node location, so maybe the question should be, how do i measure the maximum speed i can receive?

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

click here

This is the thread from the Helproom

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

This should be in the Helproom. I'm transferring it from Speakers Corner now.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Try Dan Elwells program - the free bit - it is more accurate than a web-based checker I have used it for years.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Drat - link not working properly - right program but it cant find the server list.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback