We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Trying to install Adobe Flash Player but can`t

bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hello,I am trying to get my daughters PC to work with BBC player which it will do but there is no sound. The sound card is working fine but the BBC site says I need Adobe Flash Player. Done this in the past easily on other PCs. On her PC for some reason halfway through the install I get the message "Please close Firefox to continue" OK but I cannot find any way of closing it other than to shutdown which puts me back to square one. I have probably missed something obvious here so can anyone help please.

Ray

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

If you close Firefox then the Flash installation should then continue.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Woolwell, fine so how do I close Firefox.

Ray

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

Top right,white x on red background,just like you close when on any webpage or when finished with browser.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Something isn't right if FF doesn't close when needed. Try right clicking the task bar and selecting task manager. In the list select FF and click on the 'end now' tab. If you get the 'not responding pop-up' select close. See if Flash will install then. Otherwise you might need to uninstall/ install flash again using their uninstaller guide.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Ok and thanks, FF closes in Task manager, the red close button now working but it would not yesterday. Flash player says is has successfully installed. When I try to use BBC iplayer or news videos there is still no sound, tried reinstalling a few times to no avail even booted from another HDD and tried it on that but still nothing. I have tried the link from BBC and the Adobe site direct. I can only conclude that it is not the Flash Player but something else. I know the sound card is working, plays music CDs OK and I cant find anything muted anywhere. Using an external "Creative" sound system which works fine on my PC. Any other Ideas anyone?

Ray

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Right click sound icon and select 'mixer'. In FF run anything in BBCi player. You should see FF and others in the list. See if you can up the volume.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi, I can`t find an option "Mixer" in "Sounds and Audio Devices" The PC is running XP Home.

Ray

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

There has been problems with Adobe in the past few days, make sure you have the latest update/fix installed. I had a couple of crashes but it seems to be OK now

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks Muergo, I will try again tomorrow.

Ray

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Does anyone know of any other suitable software?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......