We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

need a new graphics card

faulties
Resolved

Likes # 0

and have no idea what will fit.

The grandson is into gaming and bought a new pc 3 years ago but, obviously, it's not good with todays games.

The current card is a NVIDIA GeForce 9200 with 256mb memory.

The game he has recommends an ATI 4800 512mb or NVIDIA 9800 512mb

Another game recommends an ATI Radeon X1800 256mb VRAM with pixel shader 3.0

I haven't had time to go look at the pc yet but I'm sure it's an Acer in a small form factor box about 16" long x 4" wide x 12" high.

Has anyone any idea which of these may fit into his machine?

Thanks, all help gratefully accepted.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Has anyone any idea which of these may fit into his machine?

No idea, but if you were to post the make and model of the PC there is a fair chance you will get suggestions. What graphic card can be run will also depend on the power supply (PSU) so we really need to know what PC you are talking about.

Like this post
faulties

Likes # 0

Ok, so the computer is an Acer Aspire x1300 but the grandson didn't tell me what power supply it has.

Thanks.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

If this is the one enter link description here the specification shows the PSU as 220w which would probably struggle with an upgrade. Chronus would be better at advising on this matter so you should wait for him to respond.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Very little you can do in regards to upgrading your graphics card unless you upgrade your power supply first. As northumbria61 has pointed out your PC only has a 220W PSU which is the bare minimum. So you will need to upgrade the power supply first then look for a low profile graphics card. low profile just means the card is half the height of most PC graphic cards.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

There is a good site here for low profile graphics cards enter link description here - read up on the information (3rd line down) for Acer.

There is one which works with a 220W PSU but I can't advise on how good it is for your needs - enter link description here

I would suggest contacting this firm for advice prior to any purchase just to be on the safe side.

Like this post
faulties

Likes # 0

Thanks northumbria61 & Chronus, I've emailed PC Upgrade and am waiting for a reply from them.

Like this post
faulties

Likes # 0

Hi again. Still looking for a card :(

The link that northumbria61 gave is to the correct pc.

PC Upgrade got back to me and said I couldn't upgrade the PSU so was limited to just one card from them. This is the one http://www.pcupgrade.co.uk/productdetails.asp?ProductID=10554&categoryid=478

I've found another one :-

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/9739241/art/sapphire-technology/radeon-hd-6570-2-gb-gddr3.html?key=0&srcid=10551&partenaire=googleppcuk&mctag=gggoog1432&nopopup=1&codepromo=oui&gclid=CPT-wcrIxLMCFbMbtAodUBYAkw

but aren't sure if it will fit. Can anyone tell if it will please?

Thanks.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Your 2nd link from Pixmania - it wouldn't fit. It is not a low profile card (or half height) as previously explained.

Like this post
faulties

Likes # 0

Thanks.

Will have to go with the PC Upgrade one then, hoped to get one a bit cheaper as it's not my computer.

Will close this post now.

Regards all

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014