We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

XP Wireless Issue

peterjelliott

Likes # 0

I've just done a clean install of XP onto my laptop. I've gone through the motions of setting up the connection to my wireless (which my Win7 laptop is connected to) and it's showing as a success - the icon is there showing full connectivity with a strong signal. However, when I try to access the internet via IE or Chrome (or indeed to update antivirus definitions etc) it goes nowhere.......... I get a 'this page cannot be displayed message'. Within IE, if aiming for Google for instance I get a 'website found waiting for response' message but then the old 'this page cannot be displayed message'. Opening the network dialogue it appears that data packages are being sent but next to nothing is being received. I tried temporarily turning off the firewall but this did not help. Chrome helpfully suggested that it could be a DNS issue but the settings are to 'obtain DNS server address automatically'. I'm with BTInternet and my WIN7 laptop wireless is working fine as is the PC connected via ethernet. Can anyone suggest what may be wrong please (non-techie please!!!)? Thanks Peter

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run", type cmd and click OK) then, at the prompt, type...

ipconfig /all

...and press Enter. This will show details of all network adapters installed in the PC. Check that the wireless adapter has its correct IP address (almost certainly a 192.168.x.x address) and that the DNS Server address is either your router's own IP address or your ISP's DNS addresses.

Like this post
peterjelliott

Likes # 0

Thanks. Done that - the DNS servers are totally different and the IP address of the router begins 86.139.. which doesn't tally with the IP address of the adapter which does begin 129.168...................... I tried playing with a few of the settings in the Properties to match the settings with those of the router but to no avail. Any advice as to where to go from here please?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

If the router's IP address begins with 86.139 that must be its WAN address - the address allocated to your connection by the ISP. Its LAN (Local Area Network) address will be a 192.168 address. As the adapter has an address beginning with 192.168 then it has got its correct address from the router. What DNS server addresses are shown when you run ipconfig /all in the PC?

Like this post
peterjelliott

Likes # 0

Thanks again!

According to ipconfig /all, DNS Servers = 192.168.1.254 (the same as for Default Gateway and DHCP Server)

According to my router info the DNS Servers are:

Primary = 213.120.234.58 Secondary = 213.120.234.74

Like this post
peterjelliott

Likes # 0

Oh, and the router Default Gateway is 217.32.145.5

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Presumably the XP PC can connect with a wired ethernet connection? If so, run ipconfig /all again with both wired and wireless connections running, right click in the Command Prompt window, "Select All" and press Enter to copy the details to the clipboard. Paste the details into a forum reply here.

If you are unable to paste the details directly from the computer, because it cannot get online, paste them instead into a blank "Notepad" file, transfer the file to a working PC and copy/paste the details from there.

Like this post
peterjelliott

Likes # 0

Thanks again!

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600] (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : home-74ced97630
    Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home
                                        home

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : home
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-C5-00-BD-D5
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.78
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 29 September 2012 19:31:40
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 30 September 2012 19:31:40

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : home
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-6F-4A-14-22
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.77
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 29 September 2012 19:31:39
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 30 September 2012 19:31:39

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

The IPCONFIG /ALL details look OK for both adapters and should give you wireless internet access. With only the wireless adapter connected, type this address into your browser and it should open Google's page:

http://173.194.78.94/

Like this post
peterjelliott

Likes # 0

'fraid not.

"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"

Wireless connection status - 489 packets sent, 44 packets received.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

I'm not sure what else to suggest. See if you can "ping" Google. Open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run", type cmd and click OK) then, at the prompt, type...

ping google.co.uk

...and press Enter. You should get a response like this:

------------------8<----------------

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601] Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Mike McConnell>ping google.co.uk

Pinging google.co.uk [173.194.78.94] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 173.194.78.94: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=46

Reply from 173.194.78.94: bytes=32 time=33ms TTL=46

Reply from 173.194.78.94: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=46

Reply from 173.194.78.94: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=46

Ping statistics for 173.194.78.94:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 28ms, Maximum = 35ms, Average = 31ms

C:\Users\Mike McConnell>

------------------8<----------------

If that still hasn't worked, you could try disconnecting and reconnecting the wireless adapter to your router or even uninstalling and reinstalling the wireless adapter. If that did work then you are connecting to the internet and it is a browser issue or an issue with the port used for "http" protocol.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......