We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

VHS coversion to DVD

rickf

Likes # 0

Hi All, What hatdware and software have you used for doing the above. I have lots of family tapes, especially ones of my son when he was a child, to convert. Am thinking of buying one from ebay. any info of your experience appreciated.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I have used this, bought at a boot-sale for a Fiver! Worked brilliantly.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I have a Funai DRV-B2737 DVD/VCR Dual-Recorder with PDC that does the job of conversion. Purchased from Currys quite some time ago, so not sure if this model or similar are still available.

Also have video adapters, which were purchased from Hong Kong via eBay at a far less price than here in the UK. Haven't tried them out, but reports seem to offer good reviews, but you will require the additional components for conversions (VHS recorder/player etc).

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I tried a Pinnacle Dazzle DVD recorder with terrible results. A friend had a stand alone dvd/vcr recorder and did the job well and in a fraction of the time.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

I had to ask my son about this.

Thanks to his basic understanding (otherwise it would have taken me ages to work with a manual). We used appropriate SCART cables and selected the correct settings for AV 1, 2, and perhaps 3.

All this was done with an obsolete (analogue) VHS recorder/player and a current digital recorder with HD and DVD faciltities.

No extra software and not a computer in sight. From memory I think I had to save the VHS played data to the HD first and then copy from the HD to a DVD.

Fine for personal recordings, not allowed if trying to copy commercial tapes (Protected).

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

I used this ezcap device from Amazon with the supplied Arcsoft software plus one of these and they worked fine for me on Win 7 64 bit. Same setup currently being used by brother-in-law on Win 7 32 bit. No need to load the drivers on the CD as Windows finds them automatically when you plug the ezcap in. Did change the audio driver though to USB Audio

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I have also used a dual VHS/DVD Player Recorder, pretty straight-forward, just pop in a blank DVD, set to Record, play the VHS tape and done in the time it takes to run the tape.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Nontek/Diemmess if you use the VHS/DVD player system can you subsequently get the data from the DVD so that you can edit it to remove noisy/blank parts and maybe add titles etc?

The reason I went the capture way was just for that but if there is an easier way I would be interested. I realise that there is no difference in time as both methods of transferring require that the tape has to be run in real time.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

chub_tor

I'm afraid I did not try that - just did a quick VHS to DVD conversion for a friend using the dual VHS/DVD route.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Thanks all. Been very informative and helpful. I now know what to go for. Cheers

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Took out my vhs recorder which has not been used for over 10yrs. Plugged it in and it works a treat. They don't make it like they used to be eh? Anyway bought all necessary components for the job next week. Thanks all.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...