We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

cloud hosting of my website

Pathologist

Likes # 0

My website is hosted privately on a friend's server. It is becoming increasingly unreliable and I want to find another host, but still keep my domain name, for which I pay an annual fee. Is there any way that I can get free cloud hosting for my files and still have them accessible as a website?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

What I do, although it may not be feasible for you, is to use my ISP's free webspace for my site and then have my personal domain direct to that site.

Like this post
Pathologist

Likes # 0

Thanks for the tip.

Like this post
Pathologist

Likes # 0

Many thanks! I'll think about it, but I reckon it might be a bit too complicated for me. Thanks again

Like this post
Pathologist

Likes # 0

Thanks for your suggestion. My main concern is about the permanence of my site after I die - I'll be 80 next May. Some bits of my site are unique historical accounts of places, like my old school and the hospital where I worked for 28 years. There are other things there too of historical interest. The address is www.jbinternet.info so that you can get some idea. Thus, I'm worried about the long-term viability of the data when I'm not around to pay a fee and not so much about current cost!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

First,let me explain why some posts have suddenly disappeared. They were made by someone who initially appeared to want to help, but was in fact mainly concerned with promoting his own blog. It's something that happens often, and we don't tolerate it.

You've asked two questions as far as I can see.

First, you want to know if you can store your files in the Cloud for free, and the answer to that is yes. The best way forward for you is to use a free service called DropBox. It's used by huge numbers of individuals and businesses, and it works perfectly - I use it to work with clients for whom I'm developing websites. Take a look at dropBox by clicking here

Your second question was about site hosting. Your domain name isn't a problem - you can either transfer it to your new host, or point your site to its existing location from the new hosting space. What you have to do is find that new host, and I would forget about hosting in the cloud. Do it with a reputable hosting company, you'll get access to all kinds of helpful stuff like free website templates and software, and although you'll have to pay, the charges are very reasonable, considering you have a guarantee that your site will always be visible on the internet - no more of the unreliability that you're experiencing now.

My personal choice as far as hosts are concerned is Heart Internet. I've used the company for a number of years, and I like their professional, efficient service. You'll pay around £2:50 a month for your hosting package, but that's not a lot for peace of mind and the additional features you get.

Like this post
Pathologist

Likes # 0

Many thanks for your vigilance, and advice. I'll follow up Dropbox.

Again, thanks

Like this post
GT5002

Likes # 0

Hey Pathologist

What you can do is use a network attached storage device, it seems that most of the ones on the market all support cloud service and it does sync to Dropbox or other cloud services, a quick search on Google led me to this unit. http://www.thecus.com/product.php?PROD_ID=83 seems like it fits your needs.

Like this post
Pathologist

Likes # 0

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...