We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC Cleaner Pro is turned off -

Diemmess
Resolved

Likes # 0

That is the message which appears in a balloon at the bottom of my desktop page after booting. (XP Pro)

Clicking the balloon takes me to Microsoft Security Centre which announces that Firewall and Automatic Updates are ON while Virus Protection is OFF

Several members recommend allowing an updated XP SP3 to look after AV but but add firewall. They imply that XP is protection enough for Virus problems. I have run my system for a couple of months without an anti-virus program having removed Avast which was forever scanning and announcing that it has "bin updaded"

A search For "PC Cleaner Pro" finds nothing. I regularly run Malwarebytes and CCleaner all without finding anything nasty.

Like many I have not only used recommended freebies AV and Firewall, but have tried to streamline my system which of course can clog with endless upgrades and bloating from these safegards.

Am I "living dangerously" or can I continue to allow XP to cope with Virus threats?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

This from Malwarebytes and this from BleepingComputer. You might have had PC Cleaner Pro installed but now removed? My humble opinion is that you're living dangerously. Having said that, just helped a neighbour with connection problems and she runs no anti anything and has been doing so for two years, on XP.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Several members recommend allowing an updated XP SP3 to look after AV but but add firewall. Who?

XP by itself has little or no anti-virus protection. You should use a product like Microsoft Security Essentials or AVG or any of the other products. Malwarebytes is an addition to an anti-virus program. The XP firewall is poor (one way only) and you should add a firewall program.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Thank you both.

I have installed Microsoft Security Essentials, it seems neat and no nonsense.

Sorry not to be able to say who suggested doing without an AV program. Possibly misunderstood that I must install MES instead.

I changed from Zone Alarm to Comodo some months ago and feel a sense of jumping from frying pan ... fire. Icons all over the Desktop.

Will stay with Malwarebites. It works but is it any better than MES, not that it has ever reported anything!

Finally Comodo, do either of you have strong feelings about a free firewall?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Malwarebytes free is an addition to MSE (it doesn't replace it). It's good and the fact that it hasn't reported anything is a good sign.

Sorry - I don't use the free firewalls. I have Kaspersky Suite free with my banking so don't require the other firewalls.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Yes thanks Woolwell, I keep Malwarebytes as a separate program and I do run it anyway about weekly or if there has been a stall in an otherwise smooth running procedure.

Perhaps rdave13 - can you recommend a no-nonsense free firewall, I'll happily return to ZA or stay with Comodo, or..... a better suggestion?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I use PC Tools free firewall on my XP netbook. Quite light on resources but a bit of a nagger when updating or installing programs. I've got used to it.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Another thankyou, AOK.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015